Boy am I angry. Can I silicon over 2 hour old silicon?

Started to seal my shower tray.You would not believe how long I have taken to prepare this job, really cleaned up the shower well. Checked everything before I started, loads of silicon in the gun etc.

Then I run out half way through the job. Checked the side indicater and the plunger is 2-3inches from the end of the tube but there's no more silicon coming out, no blockage either - thanks a bunch Wilkinsons. Must have a really long plunger in there.

It'll take me 2 hours to get back with a new tube of the same stuff. Can I silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to remove all the silicone I just put on?

Thanks

Reply to
Haymish Pupkin

Double check the instructions on the tube, but I'm sure as long as the stuff has set you can just put another layer on top, or join the two lengths together from where you left off.

Reply to
Dark Angel

Thanks Dark Angel

Doesn't say a thing about applying more than one coat / butting up to where you left off.

It's been about 2 hours now and it's cured on top and seems fairly solid, do you think I should let it set overnight before I apply another coat or plough on?

Cheers

Reply to
Haymish Pupkin

Panic over.

Applied a second coat about 2 hours after the first and it seemed to take really well.

God I hate silicone.

Reply to
Haymish Pupkin

So do I.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Silicone is your friend :-)

If it can be used to make large fish tanks, just think what else you can use it for.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't want a large fish ... unless it's eatable.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Put me on the list.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Me 2. Sadly its the only thing that works in so many cases.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends where it is on your body hun ;-))

Reply to
Mr Alun Davies

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

I've found a use for old silicone cartridges. I had one that had 3" of solid silicone in it, so I poked it out and used the empty for grout. Much easier than trowelling it in and used about half the grout I'd otherwise have used. Gets it deeper into the joint, too. Half way through the job the piston started to get very stiff so I cut the end off a fabric conditioner bottle and shoved that up instead. Provided you remember to blow the nozzle out between fills (it sets just enough to stop it all working while you refill the body) it's works wonderfully.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes, but how long would it take to teach the fish to drive them?

Reply to
zikkimalambo

The problem isn't in teaching them to drive - its in getting them to remember how.

Reply to
Richard Conway

It's neither on nor in my body. It seems to be everywhere else though ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes I would. You are an idiot.

But only the one tube?

Blame yourself for penny pinching. Wilkinsons would gladly have supplied all you needed first go. Same batch number too.

Longer if you spend time talking and writinbg about it.

Once set it strips off easily leaving ragged un erasable edges that you just have to do your best with. A sharp chisel perhaps. More expense to remind you about penny saving.

Use a larger nozzle (to cover the old marks) and do the job again. You probably went over it all and made a mess by now though. Console yourself by reminiscing about the money you saved.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You bought silicon sealant at Wilkinsons ?

I tell you what; I was disgusted with the price of silicon sealant at Homebase+Q (£3.99) so I tried some stuff from the pound shop. "How bad could it be?" I thought.

Well, it was disgusting.

It stank.

It stuck to everything including anything you used to tweak it with afterwards. It's hard to describe but it was like it was too sticky and viscous. Imagine you drag your finger along a bit of it smeared on a surface. The normal stuff would spread out and leave a thin film. This would roll up and make a disgraceful discoloured mess. This made it very hard to apply neatly.

It wasn't water soluble so it messed up any cloths you used to wipe any excess and it made my usual trick of finishing it off with a damp rag impossible.

All in all it was s**te and I reluctantly went back to B+Q for a good wallet spanking.

How was the Wilkinsons stuff ?

norm

Reply to
norm

LOL I've just dried the whisky off my keyboard :-)

Dave

ps I am surprised how clean and bright it looks now ;-)

Reply to
Dave

Seemed like good stuff to me.

Reply to
Haymish Pupkin

Are you really that thick? Or is this a spoof? It's very funny, I hope it's true..

Reply to
Weatherlawyer