Bosch ceramic hobs.

We have a Bosch ceramic hob with the halogen lamp thingys. The other day a pan boileed over, it was a sugar/fruit solution essentially. So SWMBO is on to me to get the black burnt on mess off. So I get the scraper, no effect. So I try a whole range of solvents, no effect. Finally it dawned on me. The mark was not raised, it was tiny indentaions, the hot sugar solution had eaten into the hob. (looks like some sort of glass). I would never have believed it. I imagine the indentations will now fill with carbon and cause local overheating so accelerating the problem.. So, maybe don't buy Bosch.

Reply to
harry

Perhaps the carbon revealed pre-existing pits.

mark

Reply to
mark

There's your problem, right there. Tear it out and get a proper hob.

Reply to
Huge

What is a "proper hob"?

Electric rings Electric hot plate Halogen Induction Gas

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a continuum, with ceramic resistive at one end and gas at the other. Always assuming you want to cook with it, rather than look at it, which is what most kitchens seem to be for these days.

Reply to
Huge

Aga...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten there was something even crapper than resistive ceramic; having 2 tonnes of red-hot scrap iron in your kitchen.

Reply to
Huge

It's probably Ceran glass ,probably written on it in the corner somewhere. The effect from hot sugar on it is well known and is highly likely to be mentioned in the manual for the cooker somewhere. Scraping as you have already done is the recomendation and on the market there are supposed to be cleaners that will leave a film and fill in the indentations, but once a certain amount of damage has been done you'll just have to live with it or get a replacement which won't be cheap.

It's used by many other brands as well.

show you the ones to avoid but your choice is going to be limited.

be of interest.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

AIUI it's the chemistry of the glass rather than a problem with one particular manufacturer. The glass on ours is EruoKera and they say the same thing about sugar.

Reply to
Lee

*
  • Hah. Found this on your link.

What happens if sugar or sugary foods come into contact with the CERAN=AE cooktop?

Hot sugar caramelizes at a temperature of 200=B0C. When it cools off, the sticky caramel contracts. This is not the case with glass-ceramic which, due to its special composition, neither contracts nor expands. Removing the cooled caramel can leave very small surface defects, so- called "sugar chipping," on the cooktop.

Handled properly, sugar should not pose a problem to the CERAN=AE cooktop. The sugar should be removed directly with a cleaning scraper.

Reply to
harry