Booting problem - Toshiba Netbook NB200

Talking bollocks.

The BIOS is in Flash memory. You don't want to clear that.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I don't think he is actually.

I think you will find he is referring to the BIOS Data Area data which are held in a small amount of storage maintained in battery backed CMOS RAM.

It has nothing to do with the Flash memory used to hold the BIOS program code itself.

The BIOS Data area is typically copied to main ram (at 0040:0000h) during system boot. It contains (as well as other stuff) the equipment list, and configuration of the basic hardware like what drives are attached, the base address of serial ports etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

I know that. He should refer to things properly.

The code in the Flash *is* "the BIOS". When you update "the BIOS" you are updating the code in the Flash, not the contents of the "CMOS" as it is sometimes referred to.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes I realise all that. However I got the impression (admittedly reading a little between the lines) that Paul was really referring to the CMOS battery backed storage rather than the flash, since corrupt CMOS data can bork a machine on startup... however I will let him confirm one way or another.

Reply to
John Rumm

That would make a lot of sense. The CMOS RAM needs power to retain its contents and it is likely kept going by a lithium battery. Lithium batteries put out less power when cold, and if allowed to cool in a freezer will stop completely causing the memory to reinitalize when restarted.

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Then they would be cleared every time they sat outside for fifteen minutes in some places. -40F was common when I lived in Alaska.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It makes a lot more sense to remove the lithium cell and short out the battery holder.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is a difference between an explanation making sense, and doing it. :-)

Besides, that may not be possible, it may be an integrated CMOS chip and battery.

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Many motherboards have a jumper for doing just this (easier than removing the cell from its holder). Laptops not always as easy.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've repaired hundereds of desktop computers. :)

I have a fairly new Dell laptop with a bad cell. You have to take the damn thing into over 20 pieces to get to it, when it would have been simple to put it under one of the covers on the bottom, or under the battery pack.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There seems to be a *huge* variety of the serviceability of laptops these days... I had a couple recently where the CPU cooler was choked with dust and the fan running poorly. On one (IIRC a stinkpad) you had the have the whole thing to bits in order to get at the right side of the motherboard. On the other (a dell I think) you could take a flap off the bottom, release 4 screws and the whole cooler assembly and heatpipes etc just lifted clear.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's annoying, after manufacturing commercial equipment that was designed to be serviced. A philips screwdriver was all you needed to open the case and remove any module to repair locally or return to the factory. I talked a Ph.D. in Antarctica through a repair, over the internet in 2000. It was a telemetry receiver needed to continue their experiments. They damaged it in shipment, and it would have taken a year to return it to the factory for us to repair it, then send it back on their next supply ship.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell