bolt (m4 thread) cutting

Place in jaws of a drill driver, rotate on low speed & hold hacksaw against it. Bit of a knack to it, but it works a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I didn't answer that too clearly, did I?

position of saw cut to tapped hole V ________V _______ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | O | |4mm taped hole | | | | | |_______________|

Use the thickness that suits the application. Screw the bolt into the threaded hole and clamp the plate in a vice, so the saw cut is compressed. Saw the bolt off at a convenient thread, on the tail side, rub over with a file to get rid of the saw marks, remove bolt and file it 45 degrees to get rid of any burrs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Frank - your usual succinct answer !!

Reply to
robgraham

Thanks Dave - that might solve the problem I was going to ask and that is cutting a screw very short - M2.5 requires to be shortened to 2mm or less. The trick will be catching the bit I want before it falls into the workbench rubbish.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Oh! That didn't come out as planned.

Left side is OK. Right width at the top and bottom looks right, but the tapped hole should be at the centre of the cut line and the cut line has moved to the right as it should have disected the tapped hole.

Move the tapped hole to coincide the cut line and everything should be fine

Reply to
Dave