Boiling water taps

On 17/04/2024 11:59, Jeff Gaines wrote: >

Nope, but I did my management training at 213 Picadilly & Cadby Hall

Reply to
wasbit

Only if you are on a low sodium diet or the water is exceptionally hard. Otherwise, softened water is perfectly safe to drink.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

The way I read it is that the fohen uses the *existing* hot water supply for the hot sink tap. So, if the hot water comes from a tank in the airing cupboard half a mile away, it will *still* do that.

That's not my understanding. The fohen's thermostat can be adjusted to provide a wide range of temperatures - something like 50 to 98 (I forget the exact figures). Then *all* the water comes out at whatever temperature you set. If you set it low enough to wash your hands without scalding them, it's no use for making tea. If you set it hot enough for tea, it dangerous for other uses.

If you *only* want a boiling water tap for making tea, etc., and you have an existing adequate hot water supply to the sink tap, the fohen would be fine. The the OP initially gave the impression that the existing hot supply took too long to run hot.

As I said further up the thread, my Quooker has two outputs - one which goes to the boiling water tap and one which goes via a mixing valve - which blends boiling with cold - to the sink's hot tap (with the original hot supply from the airing cupboard disconnected).

By blending 7 litres of water at 100+ degrees with the same quantity of cold at (say) 10 degrees, I can get 14 litres of hot water at 55 degrees

- which is ideal for a large washing up session. If the fohen's stat was set to produce water at 55 degrees, it's 2.4 litre capacity would be totally inadequate for a lot of washing up. If set at a higher temperature, there's no safe way of blending it with cold.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No, actually our water is quite hard - but it's not caused any obvious problems so far.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It tastes a bit weird. All that sodium carbonate...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From what I can see of it on the website, there’s nothing stopping you from turning on the boiling water tap and the cold tap at the same time.

Now because lack of mixing this might not qualify as “safe for imbeciles” but I imagine that with care it’s possible. I’ll let you know when I have it fitted. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All soft water tastes a bit weird to me, but I grew up in London, where lead pipes were safe because the water was hard enough to coat the insides of them.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

In soft water areas, the supplier uses phosphate dosing to cause the pipes to be lined and keep the water isolater from the lead. I designed some of the control panels that measure the water flow and add the matching continuous dosing, for United Utilities, back in 2002/2003.

Reply to
SteveW