Boiler repair - new insulation on a Worcester Bosch 280?

Boiler servicing time on the old reliable 280RSF. The insulation board ins ide the combustion chamber lid is starting to fail though - going scrotty a round the top edge.

I presume this lid is unheard of as a spare part. So I'm thinking rigid Kao wool board, from our local kiln supplier (Postage is impossible on this stu ff, but I can drive over and pick a board up. Bit steep as a fix to buy a £90 half m^2 sheet, but it seems the most workable).

Is there any other way to repair this? Other than the British Gas answer.

Also discovered a lovely bodge put in there by the last Corgied "engineer"

- one of the screws, which ought to be a screw with a gas seal washer under the head, had been lost and replaced with a woodscrew!

Thanks

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have you tried bosch for the legit spare part? They seem to stock every part for my boiler and might be the case for yours?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not on a Sunday! The service manual suggests that it is supposed to be a recognised service item and a spare, but the obvious "fans'n valves" web li nks don't list it and I suspect that as it's an old boiler (stopped making them 15 years back), the answer at either of the two local gas sheds will b e rather stony.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you have a part no, then just maybe worth chucking into ebay too. If you do end up buying £90 worth of material, then maybe make a few extras and flog em?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Only 280 bits on eBay seem to be the obvious ones and a whole (used) boiler for 99p! (If it were nearer, I'd be there)

Sad little addendum to the listing: "Always mantained by British Gas. The week prior to replacement it had the expansion vessel replaced. (cost of part £150)."

Sensible non-BG parts cost on one of those is more like £70!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I picked up an "always maintained by British Gas" Keston for spares. It looked like it had been running in sea water for 10 years, and just about everything had been recently replaced, versus my 12 year old Keston "always maintained by me", which still looks brand new, inside and out.

To be fair, you do have to instantly leap on any problem with the Kestons, or they quickly write themselves off. Of course this is much easier if you are maintaining it yourself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was just going to say, it's rare to find a Keston in good condition these days, maintained by BG or not ;)

Reply to
gremlin_95

replying to Andy Dingley, Angela Parker. wrote: Hi Andy. Just wondered if you managed to sort your insulation panel problem?? We're in the exact same situation and I'm trying desperately to source a fireproof panel as BG have informed us we need a new boiler fitted!! There must be a cheaper alternative.....

Reply to
Angela Parker.

He should have done. That was three years ago...

BG are notorious for saying you need a new boiler. They also are not the cheapest for getting one fitted. Get another opinion.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I suspect the offending piece is Fibrefrax which can be bought in various sizes and thicknesses from trade sources. (Are HRPC or Parts Centre still going?)

Reply to
Cynic