Boiler Manuals now online

I thought VM was unlimited. They have ways of limiting file sharing though

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No - you get about 20 minutes of full speed then are reduced to 1/2 or 1/4 speed for the next 2 hours. Unless you do all you internet stuff after midnight or before 4pm.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I believe so

Reply to
Si

In message , Geo writes

which is why I only used them as a temporary stopgap.

Reply to
Si

But the amount you can download isn't limited, as in 30gb per month or whatever. ISPs have to choke file sharing somehow or the whole thing would grind to a halt.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That's not actually true.. VM have to control it because they have a shared LAN access model with little control. Its based on something like 30Mbit channels down(5M up) channels so you can only have one 20Mbit user using file sharing before a second one uses more than 100% and things start to get very slow. It is expensive to have only a few users on a channel so VM put more on and throttle the users.

DSL doesn't suffer as badly as the first shared bit is the DSLM up/down link which is probably 622Mbits or maybe as much as 2.5Gbits. You can have a lot more heavy users on that sort of link without anyone noticing.

Reply to
dennis

It is not just file sharing - anything (utube, internet radio etc - all the things they advertise you can do on their broadband...) Geo

Reply to
Geo

That's true. There is that exhaust fan that goes pop every few years, but not much else.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Only if you buy a Glowworm original, mine don't

Reply to
geoff

Slight topic swerve, but what does reconditioning a fan actually entail?

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, in the case of the fuelsaver, I replace the entire motor, the original ones have a tendency to overheat and either fail in a "lets glow red" sort of way or trip the thermal fuse if it has one. I buy these motors 1000 at a time as they fit several other fans

As for the rest of the fan, the metalwork goes off for plating and the air rotor (or impeller) is usually sand blasted with glass beads along with other various bits

The cleaned bits are then reassembled and the air rotor balanced. The fan is then soak tested for a couple of hours before final checking

Reply to
geoff

Indeed. I have unlimited 43kB/s upload 24/7 never limited. I download at have 450kB/s (actual max) for the first 50 GB on a rolling

30 day count. After that is 50kB/s between 0900 and 2300.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

It's on its third now, and so far that one's been OK - but feel free to stick your business contact details in your sig...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I don't put my business details or email in my sig, I never have, as a matter of (some strange) principle, I prefer not to advertise here

I only post it when relevant, it's

... but I'm always here

Reply to
geoff

Ah! I already have you bookmarked, guess where the fan came from!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Sorry for the extended delay getting this out to you, i've been mad busy in work, and kept forgetting to take the damn booklet in with me...

In the interim, i've "inherited" a scanner which is able to do multiple page PDF files, and i've uploaded it here:

's 21.8Mb)

Reply to
Colin Wilson