Boiler advice minefield

I have 2 friends who need a fairly major re-installation of their heating systems. One has an old back boiler - the other a really old gas boiler that is a museum piece under a kitchen worktop on an internal wall - using a chimney as a flue - but no real air intake.
With so many options available I am concerned that a Gas Fitter will want to fit their 'favourite' boiler to maximise their discounts and to avoid anything unfamiliar.
What both really need as an unbiased design / specification service that will take into account their usage, their house layout, possible locations, implications for decor during the work, etc.
Is such a service available? Am I right to be concerned on their behalf that they could get a less then ideal system pushed onto them?
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:25:47 +0000, John wrote:

I'm too busy at the moment (and your probably not nearby) so there is a FAQ which may well get you up to speed on the matter.
See below.

It is the FAQ that set me worrying and thinking.
Thanks.
john (Derby)
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:15:12 +0000, John wrote:

The FAQ is intended as something of a map so that you know where the decisions are needed.
The wiki also has pages about the subject.
what specifically are your uncertainties?
You sum it up by suggesting that plumbers will want to fit the one that they get the best incentive on.
Some will probably favour certain types of installation because it is within their comfort zone. We would prefer to have a specification that is really sound and then invite some bids for the work.
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:03:46 +0000, John wrote:

No. I think I summed it up to say that (as far as the aspects that woorry you go) it all comes down to trust in your installer. The implication is that you need to find someone who you can trust. How you go about finding such a person is beyond the scope of the FAQ. However personal recommendation is by far the best indicator, more so if that person giving the recommendation is someone, like yourself, who is discerning.

Give more info. Main water good or bad? How many litres/min? Pressure good? Boiler location? In loft? On an outside wall? The chimney can still be used with a concentric flue or duel pipe flue using plastic drain pipe.

Thinking "condensing conventional" Location Kitchen under worktop - internal wall with chimney.

Still need more info....... Give more info. Main water good or bad? How many litres/min? Pressure good? Boiler location? In loft? On an outside wall? The chimney can still be used with a concentric flue or duel pipe flue using plastic drain pipe.