BMW on Motorway??

But this isn't fake news: I've seen them flash.

As a matter of interest, what sort of roads was it? I'm impressed that on a road that is not a motorway or dual carriageway all the way you were able to average over 60 mph. I've driven as fast as feels safe on two-way, single-carriageway roads, going a bit above 60 on the straights, and still only averaged about 55. It doesn't take many stops at junctions or slowing down for sharp bends to bring the average down, even when you go above 60 where you can.

Reply to
NY

Ive done up to 130mph on ordinary A roads and equivalent, back in the day

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pretty straight A road late at night with no traffic.

And no predatory policemen or traffic cameras. :-)

Reply to
NY

Not around in those days.

Becuase the strut front suspension is as basic as you can get. The bottom of the strut is located 'in and out' by a simple control arm, not wishbone. And the 'fore aft' by the anti-roll bar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course - have several of them. I've never heard of any car using rubber bands, and assumed that was what meant.

Perhaps Mr Purr would enlighten us?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

nonsense. I can only conclude you're not familiar with microcars.

complications numerous horrible cars have done without.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But at what speed? They do not get me at 86MPH

Reply to
ARW

ITYM rubber cone suspension, as used on most original Minis?

Hydrolastic was a fluid-based system - by all accounts quite effective if done properly, but expensive. Used for a short while on Minis in the 60s.

Reply to
RJH

I'm not familiar with pedal cars either.

Then how is the bottom of the strut located? You either need a wishbone or a series of tie rods.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - I had an Austin 1800 with it. And unlike a spring/damper setup, it tends to stay on spec throughout the life of the car - bar the odd pump up. Unlike a conventional system where springs break and shocks wear out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

well I did let you know what to google.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
[Hydrolastic]

I inherited my Dad's Austin 1800

Then there was the time it was sitting down on the offside, so I asked them to pump up the suspension. Turned out the engine mount had failed, and its downward progress had been arrested by the shearing off of a pipe stub on the main hydrolastic unit :-( £££

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

:-)

It was M62 at Hartshead Moor on the opposite carriageway so difficult to judge speed. I would have thought 80+.

Thanks for confirming you are guessing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - that was a problem. I think they rusted through too. Better design would have been a pipe which screwed or whatever into the hydrolastic unit.

Did it have problems with the driveshaft to hub splines on one side only?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

lol. He knows nothing about microcars yet tells someone that knows of many with simpler suspension systems etc etc. Idiot.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't know anything about pedal cars either. Or Sinclair C5s. Or any other things you try and muddy the water with.

Unless you consider the Ford Anglia which started this discussion a micro car. Nothing would surprise me with you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)