BMW on Motorway??

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone ignoring the NSL. I've seen a couple of cars flashed in hose circumstances on the M62.

Though unless he and his girlfriend lived right on the roadside on a road with no junctions or bends that required him to slow down or stop, he'd have to be hitting 80-90 mph in places to average 65 door-to-door. Might have been possible at one time, but traffic levels and speed cameras would make it difficult to achieve nowadays. Cars have got faster, but traffic and speed limits have got worse.

Reply to
NY

ISTR Anglias having terrible brakes & poor stability.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

yes, but fitting an anti-roll bar on the front and upgrading the brake linings to (ISTR) VG95 made quite a difference.

Reply to
charles

OK I know what you mean. I pass them at 86MPH every day. M1 and M62 depending on where I am working.

Now I have seen them flash on the odd occasion that someone has overtaken me.

Reply to
ARW

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding smart motorways and speed cameras recently ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat familiar with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow corners.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think there might have been one on the original spec, - but I fitted an extra one to give much more stiffness.

Reply to
charles

I didn't realise you could have strut suspension without an anti-roll bar.

On my SD1 which has a very simple strut system, the ARB is part of the location for the strut.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - that explains it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are various ways to horribly bodge things that some mfrs used to save a penny or 2. There were even cars with rubber band suspension. And cars that relied on the wooden floor bending to provide a measure of suspension!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suspect that it is fake news that they are set at 79MPH (the 10% =2 rule) However I have certainly seen them flash when there is no variable speed limit in place.

Many moons ago ISTR Steve Firth saying that they would be set at 90MPH

Reply to
ARW

When they were film rather than digital setting them too close to the speed limit would catch a lot of people early but then be out of film when the really serious offenders ran by.

Reply to
DJC

I used to travel M1 J21->J26 and back most days, but far less often nowadays (and there have been 50mph roadworks for ages) the only double flashes from the gantries I've seen have been when a limit less than 70 has been displayed

I remember him saying they always had "a limit" that would trigger them when no limit was displayed, but that limit was set by local plod.

I try to keep it under 3 digits these days ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Never heard of economy of design? A camel being a horse made by a committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't need much in the way of modification for the considerable success the car had in racing and rallying.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather than a fundamental problem.

The wood floor flexed independent of the chassis? Or were you talking about all wood construction?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but, to the customer's specification.

Reply to
charles

strange claim

how is that relevant?

what car did BL ever produce with rubber band suspension? Have you been having a tipple?

There was no separate chassis, just a bendable wood floor. They're called buckboard cars.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suppose you *could* describe BL's Hydrolastic suspension as using rubber bands, but they are more like rubber bushes (doughnut shaped rubber between "axle" and body).

Reply to
NY

so not bands.

NT