BMW electric window problem

Hi All '99 530d My wife, the main driver, has just told me that when she returns to the car, she notices that all 4 windows are sometimes open. The amount varies from slightly, to half way. What can I say? What on earth could cause that to happen? Until the fault is diagnosed, I guess there must be a fuse that I can pull to leave them shut. Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
Grumps

If its similar to my jaguar, where the windows self close when you shut the doors, its a problem of low battery voltage and needing rebooting.

In my case, a new battery was needed (I sold it first tho) and after that. every time I recharged it, the windows need to be fully open and HELD that way for 30 seconds, and then fully closed and HELD that way for another 30 seconds.

This recalibrated the bloody things.

Incidentally teh low battery voltage would also result on other oddities like 'ABS not working' and other warning lights..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is the vehicle also unlocked? Holding down the remote button opens the windows. Doing the same when unlocked closes them. I've managed to do this by sitting on the key when close to the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

sounds like a fellow I knows brand new discovery, it will ulock itself open the windows and sunroof!! Apparently it was to do with a leak, this caused untold problems with the canbus technology used in them now, leak sealed and a hairdryer, job done !!

Reply to
Staffbull

Good question. I believe it remains locked. I will interrogate SWMBO later.

Reply to
Grumps

Not sure if this car uses canbus. Would love to find a wiring diagram though.

Reply to
Grumps

Hi

On my 2004 320d, pressing and holding the remote key will open the windows. The longer you hold the button, the further down the windows go.

If you then don't open the drivers door after about two minutes, the car automatically locks and reactivates the alarm but it does not put the windows back up!

Is there any possibility that the keys are getting sat on, or that kids are playing with them?

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

its got to be the first thing to think of, if I leave keys in jeans front pocket I sometimes have unlocked it by bending over. If its the same as mine, continuous pressure will then lower the windows.

Reply to
The Reid

The number of times I have accidentally locked or unlocked the car just bending over..I even managed to call someone on my mobile while it was in my pocket accidentally.. I HATE those bloody fobs..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"stevelup" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

My wife has a set of my car keys in her voluminous and tightly crammed handbag. When she hold her handbag to her body she often activates my central locking :-(

Reply to
Terry W.