BMC A Series - remove thermostat housing

But the econonic activity of their production and use has generated billions over the last 100 years

Reply to
Andrew

Yep. Mezac or 'pot metal'

Copper zinc alloy IIRC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1. Think thats how I did it last time around 1974...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and saved milions of lives so far. And many more to come.

Reply to
tabbypurr

The cost benefit ratio for nuclear power is far far better.

Generated energy to save millions, killed tens.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The very first steering lock I ever saw was an aftermarket fitment to an E-Type Jag. That didn't engage till you removed the key. And I've never had one which did. It would be extremely stupid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same here - on mine the ground strap was short and mounted on the alternator bracket. Just in the place to get knocked when changing a fan belt. Or draining the cooling system, via the bottom hose. And it eventually pulled out of its crimped terminal, and grounded via the throttle cable. Which melted. Made up a longer ground strap using nice flexible welding cable and routed it out of the way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually Mazak. Or Zamak. Officially 95% zinc, 5% aluminium. From the days when ally was very expensive. Known as pot metal, as easy to cast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just to add, it will have corroded round the studs which is why it won't come off. You could drill small holes down the sides of the studs to get some penetrating oil in - just don't drill down enough to damage the cylinder head mounting face. Use a thread sealer on the new one to prevent future corrosion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only powers a few of the millions of vehicles though.

Reply to
Andrew

quite a lot of trains though...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Often wondered why this stuff seems to rot away so easily being mainly zinc? Zinc as a roofing material seems to have a pretty long life.

One of the worst is chrome plated fittings made with at as a base. Corrodes away under the chrome and is near impossible to re-plate well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I assume you don't mean the Ford Nucleon :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The only one I've had to brute-force I managed to loosen the housing by tapping it from side to side with a block of wood and a big hammer. I'd already broken one of the studs and had to drill it out, they were all badly corroded. I probably still have some spare studs kicking around, ISTR I bought a pack of ten.

Reply to
Rob Morley