bloody satellites

Don't tell me you've joined this bunch of pillocks too!

Nothing wrong with the receiver. Every modern receiver has leakage current. That's the reason that the manuals say connect all signal cables on every piece of equipment prior to switch on.

Our NG "genius" is getting a tingle because he has never pranced around damp grass in leather soled or verry soggy rubber soled shoes before.

Anyone familiar with dish alignment at ground level would be only too familiar with the effect. On a wooden ladder there would be no problem.

Most of the LNB is plastic anyway, so what on earth he's doing playing with the F connector, God knows.

Being a G4 he probably thinks it's a modern day "cats whisker" and is after the active plane for 2LO or something.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The 'mid point' isn't connected to ground. That is the point. Stop trying to score points and read the thread!

Reply to
Brian Reay

The mid point IS connected to the case though. That is, RF wise, a local 'ground' , of a sort

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are not normally earthed.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why not?

I find that worrisome

Then you might accidentally earth a bit of LNB and short that 110v AC bvia the LNB to earth. And end up exactly where the OP is now

Not a great idea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you ?pump? any noise onto your local (and signal) ground rather than to earth where good design dictates you should send it.

Novel approach.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It has been deemed unnecessary. Same with most appliances of that type.

Don't forget that the voltage on the case and the LNB feeders is extremely current limited.

The situation you postulate isn't likely. And nothing would happen anyway. I've been installing satellite gear since God were a lad and I've never seen or heard of such an occurrence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Wel te planet itself is only a 'local (and signal) ground'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK took the cables out of both satellite receivers and checked for a short in all four cables....none was found ....took off the old LNB and noticed the radome had a crack in it and pushed my finder through it and found it to be full of water.......fitted an identical new LNB and wired up one receiver and switched on...no shocks....wired up the other receiver and switched on...no shocks...... ....checked both receivers all channels now working vertical and horizontal......so much for all your theories.......ha ha

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

so the moral of this story is never listen to what a professional tells you...tee hee ....or at least take it with a pinch of salt ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

What? It was suggested you need to replace the LNB, you did so, and now it's working again ... what was wrong with the advice?

Reply to
Andy Burns

nothing wrong with that advice that is what I was going to do anyway it was all the other theories and insults that were the problem...was just asking if anybody else had had this problem .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It didn?t satisfy his need for attention...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

f*ck me what is this news group for if not to ask questions ? ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

...and all you get for your trouble are put downs and insults.......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Indeed, but you may not like some of the answers, even the ones without insults.

Reply to
Dave W

I said simply: "Replace the LNB".

Bill