bloody rates

If you have to ask, you will never understand.

And you had to ask.

It's a bit like "Thou shalt not steal".

But you might reply "Why ever [sic] not?" to that too, one suspects.

Where *is* this so-called "profit"?

And who caused it?

The notional increase in the value of my house has never done me any good. I cannot access that increase in tjhe form of folding mponey without doing something very silly, like selling (while I still need somewhere to live).

It is now just on thirty years since I was last in the housing market. Any increase in prices over that period has been caused by people other than me. I have not been bidding up prices. That's newer buyers and would-be buyers, that is.

<shrug>

Making a so-called "argument" on the basis that you can't understand the human rights of citizens to their property is not the same thing as winning those arguments.

Reply to
JNugent

A. Tell me why it matters.

B. Tell me why you close sentences with two separate and distinct punctuation marks.

The government should have just let the banks go and pass into stronger hands.

They did with Leman Brothers. And that did no long term harm, except to Leman Bothers stockholders.

Reply to
JNugent

So what?

I'm on strike from housebuying at that sort of price.

If you don't like those prices, join me in not trying to buy at those prices.

You can organise the picket line if you like.

:-)

By George, you've got it bad, haven't you?

But since that is not the basis on which Retirement Pension is awarded and paid, you were wasting your time and effort in typing it, weren't you?

It doesn't *sound* like an Economics argument. It sounds like simple arithmetic which you are employing in an effort to prove something which happens to be untrue in any case.

Where are the concepts of supply, demand, equilibrium price, propensity to consume, propensity to invest, etc?

Unless they have separated / divorced and she lives in it, that won't work.

And you didn't know that.

Reply to
JNugent

Oh, damn.

When did he die?

I missed the announcement in the Echo.

Am I in time to pay my respects?

Sorry... I meant: "Am I in time to pay my respects ?.".

Reply to
JNugent

That's what is known as a matter of opinion.

So far, you have not demonstrated that you know what Economics is.

Reply to
JNugent

Which party was in control of the council?

Which party was in control of the council?

Never mind trying to change the subject.

Which party was in control of the council?

Reply to
JNugent

Landlords of unfurnished property would not necessarily have collected rates from the tenant within the rent anyway. Or water rates. At least, not by the late 1980s.

Reply to
JNugent

Of course you can. You can borrow against the value. And it you ever need to go into care, a nice nest egg to pay for the best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You're like a stuck record.

When will you get it into your tiny Tory head that this happened throughout Scotland, regardless of the local council. As it was national government policy. To shift taxation from the rich to poor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Because Whitehall made all the decisions for england Scotland and Wales in those days.

Reply to
Andrew

What?

Being able to borrow and repay is a "profit"?*

I can (or should I say "could") do that without being a property owner. But unless something unexpected happens, I shall never have to borrow money ever again. Those days are over.

...which I would get even if I weren't a home-owner.

[* try:
JNugent

Why won't you say which party was in control of the local council which ripped off your relative (and others)?

Never mind trying to change the subject.

Why won't you say which party was in control of the local council which ripped off your relative?

So it was a Labour council which ripped off your relative.

[Hint: We could already tell that.]
Reply to
JNugent

Staring you in the face !!!.

NOT the main beneficiary (the smug pensioner). Anyone owning property from 1998 onwards just did nothing while house prices soared because the banks were fueling a feeding frenzy. QED, a classic unearned and *undeserved* windfall.

Utter BS. You can remortgage and take out the huge profit and then beat up house prices even more by buying 2nd homes or rental properties (as thousands did).

Or you can take out a massive equity release loan.

Both of these options totally free of CGT.

You really have lost the plot with that comment.

PS we have left the EU.

Reply to
Andrew

What was stopping Welsh authorities from making whatever decisions Liverpool City Council made?

That council was just as subservient to Parliament as any Welsh authority.

Reply to
JNugent

"Moaning Minnies" was a term coined by Mrs Thatcher, or had you forgotten ?.

And obviously you don't know that transfers between husband and wife are free of tax.

Reply to
Andrew

What Welsh 'authorities' ?. The so-called Scottish and Welsh secretaries were always appointed by Whitehall. All the decisions concerning large capital spending were always made in London.

Elected assemblies with a bit more power and the ability to make their own spending decisions only occurred about 20 years ago under New Labour.

Reply to
Andrew

Was it? [ ?.]

If it was, who cares? Certainly not I.

Inheritance Tax is still charged on the estate of the second spouse to die. It can't be avoided forever. More, of course, is the pity.

Reply to
JNugent

Where?

It isn't in any of my account(s).

Who has taken it?

Blame the banks, then, and the supporters of the party in government in

1998. And blame those who went along with it by buying and bidding up prices.

You might be in any of those categories for all I know.

I am definitely in *none* of them.

I have no desire to borrow money.

Being able to borrow is not a "profit".

I have no desire to borrow money.

Being able to borrow is not a "profit".

You obviously don't accept the import of the ECHR. One of them protects the right of the citizen to enjoy their property.

You argue that that protection should not exist.

If it can be called an argument, of course.

I know.

So what?

Reply to
JNugent

What?

There was no "Welsh Secretary" before the 17th October 1964.

Are you sure you're up to this?

How did Liverpool manage to make such excellent provision for water supplies, when it was in no different a legal position from any other English or Welsh county borough?

Reply to
JNugent

On the other hand if you can borrow against your house at - say 4% and generate a return of - say 10% on the money so borrowed while your house value increases - well ,why not do it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher