Bloody mice! They like chainsaw oil, apparently.

The Florabest chainsaw on a stick was stored outside under cover over winter.

Mice have climbed into the box and eaten the small bottle of chainsaw oil and also the plastic reservoir which feeds oil to the chain.

Searching for spares at the moment, but the trees are safe from that particular implement for the next few days.

I'm not sure that it would have been any safer in a garden shed with a locked door, mind. Little buggers can get in anywhere.

They also nibbled the shoulder pad on the shoulder strap but that is easily patched.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

You would have thought it might have killed them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Probably eco friendly vegetable based.

Reply to
David

The oil sprays all over the place when the saw is running, and you're inhaling a fine mist, so it's tested against toxicity.

Reply to
GB

Hopefully!!

Reply to
GB

Mine isn't at the moment, Sigh. Blocked oilway? f***ed oil pump? ...ANOTHER problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oil is oil. Rape oil was originally developed to lubricate steam engines, before the Texas oil rush.

Reply to
Max Demian

oil is not oil.

even gack in the 60s when I visited BP's reaserch facility there were over 300 different sorts of oil with contrasing properties on the market

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On mine the flexible tube from the pump to the bar was pinched in the casing /from new/. Bloody Screwfix cheap crap. Easy fix of course, not worth taking it back.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It is the plastic that they enjoy nibbling.

They will fit through the tiniest of gaps. They nibble anything with the texture of cable insulation including the handle of one of my hand forks. The most annoying was when they nibbled a rubberised block that holds my best selection of hex socket screwdriver bits of all varieties.

Leave them some toxic bait in a mouse trap to nibble in your shed. They won't nibble too many more things after that.

In my greenhouse the datura seeds act as natural rodent bait.

Reply to
Martin Brown