Blank posts today?

Jeff Layman

Me too.

But I hadn't seen any before - well, there mpght have been the odd one or two over a period of time.

Perhaps Clive Arthur is entering into the spirit of things, having noticed the thread title?

Ah - specifically today! (Hadn't taken that in.) This is only the second thread I've read so far, so perhaps there are lots more lying in wait for me!

Reply to
Terry Casey

I had several today but only in the 'Doing away with ceiling lights?' thread - and the headers showed them all as being from Google groups with User-Agent: G2/1.0

Reply to
Mike Clarke

+1 on news.individual.net with no blank posts

Headers with blank bodies suggest on one connection to the server the headers were available and subsequent connections to the server failed.

When I have seen this in the past I have had a message many minutes afterwards stating that no connection to (my) news server could be made and a timeout had occurred.

Reply to
alan_m

I just picked one up in sci.electronics.design. So it doesn't appear to be the news server, newsgroup, or newsreader. Puzzling!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

So'm I. I always used to get a few, but there are loads in the last few days; and there doesn't seem to be a way to load the content.

Reply to
Max Demian

It sometimes happens if there is a timeout at just the wrong moment and the news client doesn't recover gracefully. It thinks it has already fetched the body despite the fact it didn't arrive so it stays blank.

Thunderbird sometimes does this at busy times. If in doubt pick one of your missing body posts and look it up on Google groups:

Once in this bad state it may require exit and restart before things get back in sync so you tend to see a lot of them or none at all. I have seen the symptoms described but only very infrequently.

Reply to
Martin Brown

They are also blank on Google groups and non-existent on my news server. Perhaps someone is forging third party cancels against his posts.

Martin Brown

The first few referred to at the beginning of this thread hadd a length of 1 line but there are some in that thread with a length of zero lines.

Attempting to open them promptly closes Gravity down.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Not seen any here. Are they from a particular server, ie did some moron try to post pictures to a non binary group? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But wasn?t a BLANK post.

That one certainly has a body on the nin server.

Are you sure it doesn?t have a BODY on your servers ?

Clive's two blank posts were DELIBERATELY blank posts.

Reply to
ZakJames

I have seen a few from a particular poster on alt.home.repair I just assumed that his usenet client was borked because most of his posts were blank and he stopped posting pretty quickly. That was with the nin server too, so it can't delete all blank posts and clearly didn't with Clive's.

Yeah, I assumed he was playing silly buggers.

Reply to
ZakJames

I am currently only seeing the two blank posts from Clive.

One obvious explanation is that the two servers you are seeing blanks on run the same code on both and that?s why you are seeing blanks on both and I don?t see those particular posts as blank on nin.

Reply to
ZakJames

Yes. Just checked on

Seems a bit pointless to me. But then does that make it a Google Groups posting issue?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

No it doesn?t because that other one that has a body on nin but not on your servers wasn?t posted on groups google.

Much more likely your two servers are running the same code and that that is the issue.

Reply to
ZakJames

On 10/16/2019 11:18 AM, Harry Bloomfield lied:

Maybe it's your peabrain that's blank, Harry Asshole. LOL

Reply to
Tone

Check Clive Arthur's posts, 16th Oct in this thread..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Don't bother. For some reason he posted those with nothing in the message body; they were blank by design.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

At least his one line blanks loaded ok.

I wasted a lot of time yesterday going through all posts to weed out and delete all the zero length blanks. Not only did they crash Gravity but, when restarted it reverted to its previous state which meant that all the read posts now appeared as unread.

Fortunately the problem seems to have gone away today.

Reply to
Terry Casey