Black Mould

Hi,

I have a lot of black mould on the silicone sealant around the top of my bath. The sealant was done right and it is all pitted and so there are a lot of black mould patches. Does anyone know how to clean this up? I've tried bleach and scrubbing too hard just damages the sealant more.

Hope someone can help.

Craig

Reply to
Coope

The product formerly known as Dettox now called Dettol Mildew Remover Spray.

You need to increase the ventilation in your bathroom, or it will simply come back.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As above use the 'Dettol Mildew Remover Spray'.......wouldn't be without out it Gets rid of that black stuff from Bath mats/shower curtains/window sills/ ect Any tesco style store stocks it where the kitchen cleaners are

Reply to
billybob

Agree about Dettol spray. I am in a hard water area and had a really serious problem with black mould. I solved it with the Dettol and a good strength scale remover spray. To start with I did it with the two on alternate days. Now that the sealant and grouting is clean and white I do each alternate weeks. I leave both on much longer than it says on the bottles. I go away and forget about it then realise I need to spray it when I go near and notice the smell. If you get mould on the shower curtain as well, soaking in fairly strong bleach for a few hours followed by washing machine wash cleans them up.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Peter Scott wrote: . If you get

SWMBO has a different tack on that. She buys el cheapo shower cutains for about £1.50 each & simply chucks them away.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Soak some tissue paper in bleach and pack the mulch into the mouldy area. Then, cover with cling film and leave for several hours.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Will that save the planet?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

First thnks to all your replies...

I did go out and buy this dettox but I just assumed it would get rid of it straight away but it really didn't work at all so I have left it...I guess I should keep applying it each day and see what happens...

Thanks again....

Reply to
Coope

It depends upon exactly how deeply stained the sealant has become. Dettox is very good, but if the sealant has deep black marking, it is probably beyond recovery.

As others have said, the important steps are:

Wipe up any standing water on tiles and sealant, whenever the bath has been used. Ventilate sufficiently to allow all surfaces to dry. Use Dettox regularly

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yeah well I have been using it and leaving it on for hours over the last few days and it is almost all gone!...so I'm happy...thanks to everyone!

Reply to
Coope

No but if Superman uses them for capes he will!!

John

Reply to
John