Removing black mould from tile grout - my test results.

I have a horrendous bathroom to sort out, the ceiling and tile grout are black with mould, I won't go into the cause. Having searched this group for the best way to clean the mould off of the tile grout I decided to buy a few products and try them. This is what I found: HG mould spray =A34.99 for 500ml was as good as Cillit Bang =A33.39 for

750ml but not as good as Astonish mould/mildew remover =A31.49 for 750ml. But none of them were as good as the old bottle of thick bleach I had under the kitchen sink. I hope this saves someone a few quid in the future.
Reply to
Rednadnerb
750ml but not as good as Astonish mould/mildew remover £1.49 for 750ml. But none of them were as good as the old bottle of thick bleach I had under the kitchen sink. I hope this saves someone a few quid in the future.

I also have come to the conclusion of using bleach. I use the `thin` bleach watered down and spray every couple of weeks say an hour before I use the shower. Then when showering it rinses it off .

Works for me to keep it clean. Only took me 25 years to suss it out. :-(

Reply to
SS

Because that is what most mould removers are made of.

Reply to
F Murtz

Useful information, thanks!

Whilst on the subject of showers, I can't seem to clean the glass panels on my shower adequately. Whatever I try, I can't get all the deposits from hard water off - so clear glass looks somewhat non-uniformly frosted.

Any recommendation?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Toilet limescale remover works a treat for us, but you need to keep it away from any chromed, etc., parts. Once clean you could try a daily use shower cleaner after every shower. We just let it build up and blirz it occasionally.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I know it takes a bit of discipline, but after every shower, try removing most of the water with the 'windscreen wiper blade' type of thing*, and then drying (reasonably well) with a cloth. I live in an area where the water is extremely hard, but after a couple of years, the doors of a new shower still pretty scale-free.

*These are available for the very purpose. Ours was from John Lewis, I think.
Reply to
Ian Jackson

I have a set of microfibre cloths, you use one wet to wipe the glass and the other to polish, works in a second like a dream without chemicals. I expect you could get them from somewhere like lakeland (sorry can't remember where mine came from). We have holidays lets and the are invaluable for getting the place looking good.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Acid. Almost any sort, almost any strength will work.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

But how do you keep it in contact with a vertical surface for long enough to react - gravity being gravity, and all that?

Reply to
Roger Mills