Black is REALLY Black

On BBC Breakfast this morning there was an article about a new material that was black and that absorbed over 99.8% of light (I can't remember it's name), but the comment was made that it's more expensive than gold.

They then went on to talk about, and show clips of, a building at the winter olympics that has been clad with this stuff, it looked wierd, and people commented that they felt quite disorientated looking at it. Must have cost a bloody fortune though if the cost comment was true.

I can imagine some interesting, and scary, applications for this stuff.

Reply to
Davidm

vantablack? if so, it's not that new ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

that's what the makers of the stuff say was used...

...though they also say "not suitable for external use due to traffic so OK for a _temporary_ pavilion but sadly not for making that bloody ArcelorMittal Orbit a bit less intrusive (while I wait for the travellers to do what they do in hours to any other metal around there).

Reply to
Robin

Apparently a cheapo version of it, 1% reflectance rather than 0.2% for the "space hardware" version

Reply to
Andy Burns

yep but I thought it not worth mentioning here that journos had quoted the reflectance figure for the wrong stuff ;)

Robin

"Vantablack"? It's not that new - NPL/Surrey University (the latter own the name)

"absorbing up to 99.965% of radiation in the visible spectrum" (Wikipedia)

There are cheaper alternatives that are not as good, but still utterly amazing - including a spray paint called "Black 2.0"

Tim Watts

I'd heard that the blackest black was a priests sock, but that might have come from Father Ted .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Really? like what? One assumes though that if it is black then it actually emits heat as well, does it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You don't like the Orbit? its a splendidly bizarre structure very much needed in such a boring old place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff