Bl***y floodlight.

Yes and the problem is if you are not a resident they won't talk to you. I know a friend had problems with a council properties residents tipping their rubbish over his wall.

Is the light on a post or on a wall? I just wonder if a bit of self help might be the answer if you exhaust the other methods. IE a ladder and a large wrench. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes but it might be an idea that rather than going to the council housing department that you go to the environmental Health folk and get a visit at the time you have the problem. Of course they tend to only take it seriously I find if its a bedroom or similar that is affected. However worth a try. The way I'd do it is to get hole of your elected representative for the ward you and the flats are in. After all there are three people there whose job it is to keep their residents happy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The site mentions court action, which might be the simplest option. You would have to find the owner though.

Destroying the light fitting might have unintended consequences, someone thoughtless enough to site the thing so badly might not have gone to town on the wiring or feed scource. For some reason outside lights are one of those things that are fitted by all and sundry with little attention to electrical safety or anything else come to that.

Sadly, one of mine fell off last week, decended in an arc and broke the window in the conservatory door :-(

It was during a gale on the coast, where everything rusts eventually even my bargain basement Ebay lights. On the plus point, my stuffing gland held up, which was a damn sight more than the thing on the light fitting managed.

I am trying Screwfix lights now.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Never had one so I don?t know. I did have a catapult .

GH

Reply to
Marland

They are designed for stones so an Ice cube moulded in the shape of a musket ball should behave better than a random rounded stone, I never bothered going that far but I have got some silicon mould material somewhere and may try making a mould using a marble as a pattern. The main use the catapult gets now is launching snails and slugs into the field near the stream where the ducks and swans and other birds eat them.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Which part of this did you not understand?

"Contact the council to find out if they still own it.

In the unlikely event that the have sold the entire building to someone else, a Land Registry search will tell you who to contact."

Reply to
Terry Casey

A plane mirror would show the reflection as the same size as the source, which might not be so annoying as the distance there and back is double. A focused parabola would look like a bright disc the same size as the dish.

The top opening windows are reflecting the sun, which is much more powerful than any security light.

Reply to
Dave W

I rather like the idea! Though any paint would be fine, best match the fitting.

Reply to
Fredxx

I'm rather surprised the flat occupiers haven't complained, since it is lighting a common area. With lots of windows overlooking that area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 00:26 8 Dec 2018, Graham. snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's the problem we had with a PIR floodlight. The handyman had to fit it upside down but that leaves the underside of the sensor unit, where the control dials are, exposed to rain. Sealing it with tape made the controls hard to adjust.

Reply to
Pamela

It's one of three - and the others are aimed correctly. I'd guess it is repair attempts that have left this one being wrong. It's been like it for ages - but only really a problem for me now the days are short.

I've got a low tolerance threshold for such things. ;-) It probably doesn't bother others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldnt be so sure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it would except that it would need a focal length of (IIRC) quarter the total path length which is so near a plane mirror as to be indistinguishable.

In particular your suggestion of using a satellite dish with a focal length of less than a meter is nonsense.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And how is that contradicted by "you would have to find the owner".

Of course there is nothing to prevent someone suing the property, but it might be a tad difficult getting it to open the summons, let alone pop along to the court.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Not if you adjust the plane mirror at the focus appropriately. Positioned at the focus, the whole arrangement would be the same as a plane mirror, and the reflection would suffer the inverse square law as for a plane mirror. A slight adjustment would create an image of the lamp at the target window if the parabola was accurate. Maybe still not bright enough to be objectionable, as the parabola subtends only a small part of the total flux from the lamp.

Reply to
Dave W

I suggest using a small capsule filled with dark sticky liquid. If the capsule bursts on contact, maybe the light will get smothered. Or maybe the liquid could be contained inside a hollow icecube.

Reply to
Dave W

Drivel. It will be made of polycarbonate and won't break with an airgun pellet. Or a crossbow bolt.

Reply to
harry

FMurtz

Unless your name is Jörg Sprave

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. Exactly. Maybe a simple sign saying "I can nick your cars at night now the floodlights are pointing the wrong way" and tied to one of the posts might get the residents to do the job for you.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell