Bizarre reason for RCD nuisance tripping...

While RCD nuisance tripping continues to occupy our minds I thought this piece, posted in the IEE/IET Wiring Regs Web forum this morning might amuse...

The case I was thinking about was a little old lady who lived alone. > I had rewired the cottage (out in the sticks) and replaced an old > voltage operated CB with an RCD as part of the works. > > Job done, I was alarmed to get a constant series of phone calls from > the son indicating the RCD had tripped. This happened during the > night and every time the lady got up the power was off. > > It turned out she was in the habit of getting into bed with the > lights turned off and reaching for her bedside lamp which had no lamp > in it. In went the fingers - quick jolt and she claimed she felt much > better. She had done this for years but since the RCD install, off > went the power. Bedroom was dark so not noticed until the following > am. > > Not the sort of fault you can predict - and the old lady wasn't > admitting to her actions - she instinctivley knew it was "wrong" but > carried on regardless, convinced that it did her heart and > circulation some good.

Original thread here:

Andy Wade

weird! Just goes to prove v-ELCBs are better than RCDs :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Wade saying something like:

In the interests of customer satisfaction he should have run an unprotected spur purely for her bedside lamp.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What would you suggest writing on the MCB label?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Ah, you were right all along... ;-)

Actually though, something about the story doesn't quite ring true, & I'm not sure whether to believe it.

If the bedside lampholder was plastic bodied and/or unearthed, most of the shock current would be phase-neutral. I'd be surprised if there was enough earth leakage to trip a (presumably) 30 mA RCD, unless her bed was rather damp.

If the lampholder was earthed metal, why did the old ELCB not trip?

I suppose that a plastic/unearthed lampholder, replaced with earthed metal after the re-wiring would explain it though.

Reply to
Andy Wade

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Wade saying something like:

The Tingler. or Skull and Crossbones.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

thats one option I dont want to think about, Or it may have been a metal frame bed.

Theres not much likelihood touching the pins would trip a voltage operated ELCB. One of those would only trip when so much current flowed that the earth electrode voltage rose up to 25-50v ac. That means quite a lot of current.

Having had enough shocks for one lifetime, I find it hard to belive anyone would do that on purpose day after day. Wasnt on 110 was she?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

thats one option I dont want to think about, Or it may have been a metal frame bed.

Theres not much likelihood touching the pins would trip a voltage operated ELCB. One of those would only trip when so much current flowed that the earth electrode voltage rose up to 25-50v ac. That means quite a lot of current.

Having had enough shocks for one lifetime, I find it hard to belive anyone would do that on purpose day after day. Wasnt on 110 was she?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Overnight Charge

Reply to
Dave

because it ceased to function years ago like many of them!

Reply to
John Rumm