Birthday present question.

As on mine! Thanks for this. I had never thought of looking. My TV was an online purchase from Currys and did not include an operators manual!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think that is what my SiL is planning.

So far, I have failed to persuade her that a modern TV in her bedroom avoids all the issues:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Thomas Prufer snipped-for-privacy@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes

Huh! For someone who can produce tasty meals from complex recipes and was once a primary school deputy head, anything much beyond pressing a button is a step too far! Also, the Panasonic has only the speaker socket.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I usually try

if a manual isn't easily available at the vendor's or manufacture's website. It's always worth checking there.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Ah well, such can always be downloaded you know. Might have to a bit of giggling firtst though.

14 years ago I was after the doc for the Motorola SIO and PIO chips that were on a 68000 SBC I had purchased. Found them on the website of a Turkish University.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Ok. Saved for the future. I had found something elsewhere but resent vast print activities. I suspect the manufacturers hide behind *saving the planet* when the real issue may be not knowing the language of the user and being vulnerable to purchase protection legals.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

mumble mumble made of money mumble mumble

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Thomson WHP3311BK-UK Wireless Headphones:

UHF so no latency, very good range, £42.08.

Reply to
Max Demian

Try Ebay for "bluetooth audio transmitter module"

and more specifically

David

I'll see what the family bring today. New TV is perhaps the best route!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

TV/radio has never been something I fiddle with. At least not since crystal sets at age 15!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And if you use it for extended periods (most retired people do) you will see your TV electricity bill drop quite a lot since TV's made in the last 5 years or have about half the power consumption compared to a similar sized model made 10+ years ago.

Downside is that with many you need to have some sort of soundbar arrangement as well, to compensate for the generally inferior sound quality, which nullifies all or part of the reduced electricity saving of the set itself.

Reply to
Andrew

Ok all and thanks for helpful interest.

Avantree Opera supplied and installed by SiL:-) Not the cheapest but it does the business. The Panasonic turns out to have an optical output! Who knew.

There is no provision for lip syncing delay but claimed to be unnecessary.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The optical out (TOSLink) is the equivalent of S'PDIF coaxial.

There are several optical modes.

The one you want, for best latency, is simple stereo output.

It is also possible, when a movie plays, the TV may try to send

5.1 audio as AC3 to the optical port. The danger with that, is the AC3 has some decoding delay. If so, go into the TV interface and see if you can switch it back to stereo. These audio options might be sound track stream options on the content.

I don't know if TV ever sends that or not. But that's the only way I know of, to ruin it :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

OK Paul. I'll pass this on. She is not a great film buff so I'll wait for complaints. Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb