Big doors, roller versus sliding?

Probably looking at having to replace a industrial unit/barn sized door.

Building is of an age where sliding door would be in keeping.

Roller shutter doors seem to be standard fit now but having watched some neds at beginning of year on CCTV drive , gently, through one with a stolen car , not entirely convinced they are most secure option.

Old fahioned timber sliding doors , will need serious sliding gear replaced, seem to be less vulnerable to similar drive through attack, aware that bottom track or wheels also need protected to stop neer-do-wells jacking door off track.

Any advice from panel?

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

My factory units had sectional up and over doors, which slid up side runners and laid flat under the roof. Unlike roller shutter doors, they are double skinned and insulated. I don't know how well they would stand up to a deliberate attempt to drive through them, but others in neighbouring units have survived accidental, but firm, impact from large vans with minimal obvious damage. If you think it a serious threat, retractable anti-ram raid bollards in front would be the usual defence.

Reply to
Nightjar

If you have forklifts available a big RSJ across the doors is pretty common and probably effective.

Reply to
dennis

Esavian have been doing sliding doors since WW I and are still in business as Jewers

And anti ram raid precautions as others say.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No normal door will stand a "ram raid". One deterrent is removable bollard(s) in front of the door. (Steel post drops into sockets in the ground. Obviously with a lock.)

Or you can bollards that when hit tip and a "prong" comes out of the ground and stops a vehicle.

Many breakins to this sort of building is through the roof which often is lightweight construction.

Reply to
harry

What is it about new posters that makes them write with a list?

A door is more secure if you drill some holes in it and leave lights on so burglars can be seen. IR cameras connected to a watcht-room might be worth while. Any door can be broken open if you use bollards they will just geta bigger ram or a narrower one.

Or go in through the roof. You can appreciate the ideal of keeping serfs and slaves now can't you. And of keeping them well fed -as a Fox News anchor complete with Door Stop brain was quick to point out recently.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I apologise for seeming to be getting at you. I well remember doing the sam e thing. Maybe it was just unfamiliarity with using a keyboard or the need to save on electrons. I find more time to be discerning now that I realise all I am here to do is waste my time with the other time wasters.

er ram or a narrower one. Or go in through the roof.

The disadvantage with wood is that it will need constant maintenance. This balanced by it's advantage of being readily maintained. A coat of paint eve ry year being as good an advert as a glimpse of your profit sheet. OTOH a d ecadal run of neglect tends to shine out that the books are tanning badly.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I wonder why you think Adam is 'new'?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That must count as too dangerous to be legal.

Reply to
dennis

Did you never encounter - Dorothy I think her name was - who was an expert on fan motors?

Every post of hers was like a PowerPoint presentation :-)

She knew her stuff though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Disappeared 4-5 years back

Reply to
Andy Burns

A lady was killed the other day by somekind of door closing mechanism. H/c were investigating last I heard. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you look at the most secure doors - like into a strongroom - they are generally a single door type. Because the weak point will always be the hinges and fastening. Folding or sliding doors are going to have several of those. ;-)

Most seem to be rollers these days. So I'd guess the best compromise. With the added advantage of being relatively easy to motorise.

The sort of sliding gate you get outside can be pretty strong too - but not likely to be easy for a storage unit etc where you'd want a large door relative to wall size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks all for the input, only been on usenet since late 90`s, so yeah, lat e to the party ;-)

Strangely party that was ram raided, vision of j turning stolen merc throug h door, wasn`t like that at all, beside block of flats less than 30`away, n ope, gently pushed on corner until bent the slats out of the track then bit more pushing to open it like old sardine tin. Anyway, waited until last pe rson had left building and knew where safe was and that alarm was disabled because of building work.

Unlucky safe was full of unmarked car keys for vehicles not even on site, n o one handles cash nowadays.

Sliding would look nice, but cost of materials is rather off putting , esti mating size at somewhere around 14 X 10` x 2 , security really relies on fu ll top and bottom tracks and bottom tracks are a pain to keep clear, not ea sy to draught proof either.

Sliding insulated panel doors , as seen on fire stations, would be marvello us but if thought timber sliding came with sticker shock, doors so expensiv e you can get them on lease.

Folding panel doors, specifically dangerous by design bi-fold over size gar age doors does remind me , thanks Brian , to actually ask questions beyond the price,two killed by runaway get in door few years ago.

Shouldn`t imagine will be bothering Hydroswing`s no doubt dapper rep`s for a quote anytime soon.

Roller shutter and drop in bollards , due to out of way location and accide nt protection rather than content value , looks like the cost effective opt ion.

Thanks! until the next line of questions about land drainage and soakaways. ..

Reply to
Adam Aglionby