Bidet drain information please

Done most plumbing jobs but bidets are completely new territory. Am wondering about what problems there would be installing one.

Due to constricted space around the stack pipe area in our (upstairs) bathroom, I am expecting that the connection to the foul waste system may be the hardest thing to resolve.

Q1: what is the standard method of connecting a bidet to a typical UK plumbing foul drainage system? ie is it connected in a similar way as a wc using the same size connectors; or is connected like a bath using smaller size waste fittings?

Q2: The final part of the waste run (about 1m long) to the stack pipe from the bath is in 50mm dia. (It runs between the floor joists.) Could a bidet waste outflow be inserted into this, without risk of backup into the bath?

TIA for any & all help.

Reply to
jim

Hi,

I also am fixing up my bathroom and fitting a Bidet not sure if this helps but i got a great deal on a bathroom suite from

offer free UK delivery.

Hope this helps,

John.

Reply to
John

Mine uses wash hand basin size. And has room for a standard size trap inside the back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hello

Use the same size you would use for a washbasin sink. At the end of the day the amount of water outflowing from a bidet is certainly less or at most equal to the amount of water outflowing from a washbasin,

I have washbasin, bath & bidet on the very same waste pipe on a very gentle slope, a shallow trap for the bath and never got any problem at all.

In those countries where bidets are fitted as a standard in bathrooms, they are generally attached to the washbasin waste pipe , both of the same size.

Hope it helps. Good luck

W.

Reply to
Woland

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:07:28 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be jim wrote this:-

The latter. Can't remember whether it is 32mm or 40mm in size. Best not to use a bottle trap.

No. There will always be a risk [1]. However, the risk can be minimised so that it is acceptably low. If that is the case in your circumstances depends on the precise pipe layout and arrangement of fittings.

[1] for example if the connection to the stack became blocked somehow. Have you ever considered what would happen if the stack became blocked at the bottom, where it turns into the drains. In many houses the first warning of this would be when the toilet flushings started to appear in the kitchen sink. This is a risk in single pipe drainage systems, but the risk is managed to be acceptably low.
Reply to
David Hansen

What are you up to John?

Are you a spamming git working for DIY Trader/Taps2Less/Truerooms?

Reply to
Rod

FX: waves. Wondereful things.

Reply to
Huge

Yup. It's an ideal not easily missed ashtray next to the bog.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

inside the back.

How else do you wash your feet???

Reply to
Chewbacca

Also good for washing your balls. At least that's what a golfer once told me.

Reply to
Gotde T Shirt

hello! //snip//

It does indeed - just exactly the info I was after

Good luck

thanks

Reply to
jim

//snip//

Interesting...

my post was about deciding whether Arthur C Clarke project stage 1 applied, viz

"It can't be done"

uk.d-i-y came into its own & convinced me it can - thanks to one and all who replied.

Your post moved it into stage 2 in Clarke's sheme of things:

"You don't need it"

Missus says we do ;-)

Missus immediately got us past stage 3:

"You can't afford it."

Missus says we can.

When it is installed I'll be selling ringside seats for Clarke's stage

4:

"The fight over who thought of it first....."

Actually, in answer to your query, I suspect there is quite a latent, unspoken, demand for bidets amongst the fairer sex. There also seems to be some demand amongst the infirm and disabled.

Reply to
jim

A neighbour had one installed with her new bathroom suite.

The w.c. is in a separate room.

I've never understood the point.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The bath, sink or washbasin. Can't you stretch that high?

Reply to
Mary Fisher