Bidet installation

Anyone here installed or had installed a bidet? We have room upstairs between a toilet and a shower room. I have no idea how the waste gets expelled, does it go into the toilet's 4" pipe?

Any guess as to how much $$ it would be to get one installed? The bidets themselves seem quite reasonable ($200-400) considering their relative rarity.

Thanks for any insight,

Dean

Reply to
dean

i would first look at the bidet seats for your existing toilet since there are more available features on them, at:

buffalobill

Dean:

They are only rare here in the US. We've lived all over the world and almost everywhere else has them, almost as a matter of course, right next to the commode in the main bath.

I'm sorry I don't know how to plumb one but I'm sure you will get help from many non US folks here on USENET.

The add on seats don't seem to be any kind of an economic deal for just air. According to my wife, 'the water is where it's at'. She has already told me that when we get our next house she wants one, so I too will watch the answers closely as I will be doing one in the next couple of months myself!

Jay

Reply to
Jay

That's where our bidet is. House was built in'78 and it matches all the other fixtures in the bath.

I know it sounds like a personal problem, but the one in our bath gets used as a magazine rack.....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Without seeing your house and whether it's slab on grade, or accessible basement directly below, etc, etc, etc, I'm guessing the install will be at least 10X the cost of the Bidet.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

They all have models that use heated water. A side benefit of the Toto is that it also deodorizes dunno about the others. If you have a lot of guests that will become an function that you'll wonder how you lived without. An additional benefit is that your toilet paper use will drop dramatically. When I was in Japan my relatives had one that had a humongous remote (the Totos have a remote too but it's small) there was an entire bank of buttons that were just for women. I mean like 20 buttons: different patterns, oscillations, drying air. I'm not sure if it has arrived here yet. I installed the Toto myself, very simple, replaced the previous seat and only needed an GFCI outlet. If you install one make sure you don't "lose" your wife in there. ;

Reply to
spudnuty

i put in an american standard cadet ,rim flush with a spray a few years ago. i reccomend to get the spray and rim flush. it installs basically like a sink . bidets have same size drain and water supply lines. lucas.

ds549

I opted for one of the washlet seats for three reasons:

  1. Saved space.

  1. More features than a standard bidet.

  2. It was easier to add an electric outlet than to plumb supply lines and a discharge line.
Reply to
Not

Thought I was clicking on a link about bidets.

Did you write this? Record it? It made me cry. Do you remember the old song Teen Angel? That one, too. (My husband says I cry at McDonald's commercials but I don't. It takes something special to make me cry and this was one of those things.)

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

I'd be very surprised. That would be like saying fewer people in the US are building homes with more than one bathroom. Do you have a cite?

Yes, wonderful investment. Don't know how I got along without it.

Is that supposed to be "between a toilet and a shower stall"? I hope you're not thinking of putting the bidet in a separate room.

Just like a sink. There's really not much waste. No more than you have from washing your hands.

I plumbed mine into a branch that includes the sink and the shower but I suppose you could go directly into the main stack.

Don't forget you have to add on a faucet and drain set. For labor you'd have to ask someone in your area.

Reply to
HighFlyer

Reply to
Pat Barber

Models vary, but many that I have seen, including the one we installed in our master bath, drain out the bottom. This means that a P-trap will have to be installed beneath the floor, and the vent attachment has to be there.

I have seen some that are high enough that a P-trap can fit under it but above the floor, then the drain can go into the wall similar to the way a sink would (except, the drain is MUCH closer to the floor!).

I have seen the bowls go for that much, but then there is the faucet!

We managed to find a decent bowl from a shop that deals with used fixtures that were pulled from a demoliion. It was $75 and didn't require much cleaning, but the old faucet on it was crap. Besides, we wanted a faucet to match the rest of the bathroom (Moen Monticello series).

Our local BORG told me the price for one of those faucets (special order) would be C$465 plus C$35 for the handles (plus our wonderful 15% in sales taxes). I managed to find one and the handles on Ebay that ended up costing me about C$250 including shipping and taxes (collected by the post office when things come into the country).

So, you are doing pretty good if you can get the bowl and the faucet for about $400, but it is not unheard of to spend $800.

Installation? Well, that can vary greatly. The rule of thumb I always use (besides doing it myself, if I can) is $2 labour for every $1 in materials. On a specific job, that may vary greatly. For instance, it may be fairly easy, or extremely difficult to bring in either the DWV or the supply lines to where you need them.

As for the usefulness of a bidet - I wouldn't want to live in a house without one. I think it is safe to say a bidet is more useful for women, but - and I'll try not to be too graphic -- all the advertising for toilet paper aside, when you get a case of the trots, the softest brand that you can find in the world starts to feel like 80-grit sand paper by the third visit to the throne. ;-)

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

If anyone is still following this thread, can you explain to me how having a wet tush is going to save on toilet paper?

Reply to
C & E

Who said it was supposed to?

Bidets are popular in areas where daily showering is not the norm so I suppose water is conserved. I have never heard that it is suppsed to reduce the use of paper.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

More water and less of something else.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'm talking about the Toto Bidet Seat here, which uses a jet of warm water about 1/8" in diameter. Not a French bidet which is more like a fountain or a stream of water like a garden hose. After it's done there's nothing to wipe except a small amount of water. The comment about toilet paper usage was based on experience in a house where we had a lot of conferences and workshops. Probably ~40 people a month. Also if you have hemorrhoids.... My friends husband has them and he uses the bathtub...you get the idea. Eeeewww. Whenever I'm over there that image sticks in my mind. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

For the most part, it isn't intended to, but there are a few exceptions:

If you have a case of the runs, the most plush toilet paper will start to feel like 80-grit sandpaper by the third trip to the throne, so washing with a bidet and patting dry with a towel is a better alternative that will save a bit of TP.

Another situation that comes to mind relates to a young visitor who clogged the toilet each time he went. It seems he was taught that after doing a poo he should wipe until there is no trace on the toilet paper. Sounds like a good plan, but occasionally diet has a way of creating a consistency that would still create track marks after half a roll of toilet paper. The child should have been taught about the wonders of using a wet piece of toilet paper in such situations, but of course a bidet would also reduce the need for so much toilet paper, not to mention the plunger to unclog he toilet.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

I'm seeing a greater comfort and cleanliness issue moreso than paper savings. It was just a Q, thinking that I was missing something obvious. I found most of the add-on seats to be quite expensive until I found the Biffy

. About $100. Of course, you don't get air dry or even warmed water but what the heck. I've done my business in the snowy woods enough to think that it can't be that bad. Still pondering.

Reply to
C & E

Despite the price (and whatever it'll cost to have an electrician come in and put an outlet behind the thing) I'm seriously considering this one:

I think there's a video on the site too.

I can definitely see saving TP, and being so much more hygienic with something like the Swash. Weird name, but looks like a good product. (It had better be for that price.)

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

I just googled "Brondell Swash" and "Toto Washlet" The last time I checked it out was about 10 years ago and bidet seats were almost unknown. The Brondell was developed by a group in the US. This is from the Summation Site: "This is the first product of the Silicon Valley

100 which I will be blogging about in the future. I got the Brondell for free and there is no way I initially would have paid the hundreds of dollars for it. But after using for a month, I now need to have it and would gladly pay for it." I wondered when this "technology" would make it to the States. Richard
Reply to
spudnuty