Best way to point paving?

Title says it really, just laid some riven natural stone paving. Some say dry mix brush in and 'iron', others say wet mix, so whats the views on this and any hints on what looks like a long boring tedious job!

Thanks

Rod

Reply to
Rod Stormes

PAVING EXPERT RECKONS DRY SAND IF ITS A CLOSE LAID, OR WET POINTING IF YOU LEFT SIGNIFICANT GAPS.

(sodding caps lock)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pick a nice dry day and make up your batch of dry grout, pour it all over the slabs, making sure everything is perfectly dry, and brush it in and tamp it down with a suitable tool. Put lots of pressure on the tool to press the grout well in to the spaces. Keep brushing more mixture over them and keep tamping it in until you can't tamp no more.

Clean everything off thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly because you don't want to mark the face of the slabs with cement, and then pour water in a fine spray all the area you've done. A watering can should be enough. And then leave it alone to all settle down.

Step back and admire your work with cup of tea in hand, just like in the adverts. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Having just done this I suggest you do it dry and make sure the sand is REALLY dry for two reasons, one because you don't want it to stick to the paving leaving cement marks and secondly because it 'flows' into all the gaps really easily then

I watered mine when finished.

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Good answer with pictures on Cormaics web site :

Rick Hughes

Thanks for responses. We have gaps 'cos of irregularities of natural paving, hence We 've been looking at the wet mix, but its going to be a long slow job - in all over 200 slabs with the path as well.

I like the idea of doing it dry, will it work on bigger gaps?

rod

Reply to
Rod Stormes

Yes, the dry mix will most definitely will work better on wider gaps. But make sure you pick a day that you know it ain't gonna' rain before you're finished, because the paving will get easily marked on the surface with wet cement. And it ain't easy to get it off again.

Reply to
BigWallop

Wash it off with brick acid and a wire brush and a pressure washer...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A lot of hassle if you can prevent it from happening in the first place though. Don't ya' think ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Rod