Best way to paint a window above a conservatory?

I am not great at d-i-y but I thought I would have a go at painting the outside of the house before winter sets in. Everything is straight forward except for a back bedroom window which sits directly above a conservatory. Access via ladder is impossible as the conservatory is much wider than the window. The frames are wooden I would want to rub them down and undercoat them - so close-up access is essential.

How would professional painter tackle this? Scaffolding perhaps (I hope not)?

Thanks,

- Clive

Reply to
Clive

"Clive" wrote | Everything is straight forward except for a back bedroom | window which sits directly above a conservatory.

Cherry picker.

Remove panes from conservatory, put ladder up through hole, reinstate panes when finished.

It might be feasable to remove casement from window from inside, paint casement and frame, reinstate casement from inside.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Unless the roof has a evry steep pitch lay scaffolding planks across it and use this as a firm footing.

We have the same situation and thats how the 'Professionals' do it for us.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

MEWP ;-)

We hire little trailed battery ones occasionally, you would need access room and to make sure the operating envelope gave enough outreach.

They appear too pricy at first look but locally a lower rate can be negotiated for a week end, though the hirer should give rudimentary training before you take it on hire.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Clive,

I have the same situation with my conservatory. I did the job successfully by removing the opening lights and painting them separately. Then sitting in the opening to paint the outside of the frame. Worked OK on my window as the opening lights are quite large. Only tricky bit was getting the windows back on. Two person job really, one to hold it and one to screw it back on!

Also don't lean back to admire the finish!

Cheers Keith

Reply to
Keith Oliver

In article , Clive writes

I have got a window like this, I made a little roof ladder which rests across 2 of the uPVC roof beams on the conservatory. (I checked with the conservatory manufacturer and they said it was OK to do this, they said you could even stand on the polycarbonate sheet in an emergency.)

You could probably do the same with scaff planks if you can find some way to stop them slipping down.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

conservatory.

It depends on the construction of the window. If it is a vertical sliding sash, it is probably easiest to remove the beading and sash cords, and take the windows inside the house to paint. With the windows removed, the outside frame is also accessible, but you should use a safety line to make sure that you can't fall out of the opening.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren