Best Waste Pipe Cleaner

Hi Guys

I had intended to try and repair my Bosch dishwasher, but er-indoors reckons that the dodgy main motor isn't the only problem with the current 8 year old unit. So it's time to dig deep and buy new. One thing I want to do before fitting the new unit is clean out the standing waste pipe.

The problem is access. The dishwasher is integrated and the pipe up stand is behind the adjacent kitchen unit, as is the trap. There is only limited access to the top of the stand pipe. Also, the other end of the waste is tricky to dismantle. So I am looking for the best chemical cleaner that I can put down the standing waste pipe to make sure any old fat or food deposits are cleaned out. The waste pipe looks to be a combination of solvent weld and push fit so whatever is used it mustn't attack that stuff. Anyone have experience of using these products and would like to recommend?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> Wrote in message:

Thanks Guys

NP - the access is so bad to the top of the standpipe, that I wouldn't feel sufficiently "in control" to attempt your method (even with a trial). Er-indoors doesn't seem to buy bleach these days for eco reasons, but in my experience other products are nowhere near as effective.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

I use bleach to thoroughly clean out sink drains without dismantling, but it needs to fill the pipe and be kept in the pipe over night. I make sure it fills the pipes, by fitting a bung in the exit, where it normally discharges.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Is that diluted bleach or neat?

Reply to
GB

So do I, but if its really bad I buy *caustic* soda, (sodium hydroxide) tip it down the drain and then with old clothes and glasses on, pour boiling water on it.

This is highly exothermic and produces steam and hot caustic in nice proportions and the boiling seems to punch through most grease balls.

If you are a first time user, do a test outside first to see what to expect.

Contrary to popular myth, neat caustic is only really dangerous in your mouth or eyes, as on skin, while it burns, you sure feel it and rinsing with clean water is all that is needed. It will however rot cotton clothes after bleaching all colour out, so wear your oldest jeans and T shirts and if you want to keep them. rinse them after use..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

although TBH I have not had one bad enough to need that for years.

Bleach is good for near horizontal shower drains, which seem to grow slime moulds.

Reply to
newshound

Bleach soak, conc suphuric acid, sodding hydroxide, all work and have their safety issues.

Reply to
tabbypurr