Best quick finish for kids sheleving.

Probably going to get some Ikea Ivar storage for the kids room. Mostly shelving and drawers. It's made from untreated pine.

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of coats of quick drying varnish?

I'm not really worried about the 'best' finish, it will no doubt get a hard life anyway, just something to protect it from stains and grub, make it easier to clean, look fairly nice and be reasonably quick and easy to apply so that I actually do the job rather than having it sitting erected in the garage while I find a round tuit

Reply to
chris French

How about some left-over emulsion? You can apply two coats on the same day.

Reply to
Richard Head

Maybe, or a single coat of a thin paint designed to let the grain show through and adds colour to the kids room. We used it on some plain pine shelfing units. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Poster paint?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Unless you particularly want to hide the wood, the diamond hard (but not necessarily the floor grade) varnish, will soak in somewhat and give a harder, less tacky, finish than paint. There was quite a lot of the 'cherry' colour going cheap on ebay etc a few weeks back.

Spamlet

We used shellac on the Ivar shelves in Daughter's room. Fast, looks fine, easy to renew, and still looks good years later.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've used diluted emulsion for this in the past and it worked very well. Wouldn't resist stains at all but it was fine for cheap clothing storage.

Reply to
fred

Oil?

The Medway Handyman