Best material/methodology to construct a low-cost custom electronics case?

I'm building a prototype electronic device and need to construct a case for the prototype. The approximated dimensions are 13" x 19" x

3", and it needs to have cooling slots in the bottom for fan driven airflow.

I'd like as light-weight, but strong material as possible.

My one thought was to recycle PET soda bottles and develop a home-made pour/compression mold, but I'm not certain that's the practical way.

Or, perhaps using a pourable resin (polyester or epoxy?)

Finally, I've considered a shop-build vacuum forming table, but I'm concerned about forming the support ribs on the inside of the bottom case half.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reply to
tillius

then its ali, carbon fibre / kevlar reinforced

Seriously, youre just not giving enough info. No info re plastic vs metal, application, what issues matter and what dont, budget, appearance requirements, etc etc.

Give us a lot more info

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You want Sylgard, a pourable silicone resin, comes clear and can be used to encase electronics. The only problem with it is it helps to degass it after you mix in the activator, you can rig up decent vacuum with Vernouli type device attached to a tap. It is very thermally resistant and has excellent shock absorption properties. Might not be good for airflow though.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Why not just get an old desktop computer and gut it? A Dell P1 or early P II might do.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Can't say I've ever had this problem.

Can anyone suggest a good way of racking vast piles of discarded cabinets from old electronic equipment? These days the only bit that's wroth recycling is the case and the power switch. I (and every other electronics geek I've known) have truckloads of old cases just waiting for projects that will never get built.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A lot depends what it is for - if it is as some form of technology demonstrator to convince people to invest in it / buy it / support it for manufacture, go to RS or Farnell and buy a case. A secondhand case or home built case won't give the right impression. And please don't use Dymo tape for any labels - professionally produced labels or engraving are not that expensive and make a BIG difference to the first impression.

If you get a green light beyond this stage, look at something like thin RIM moulding:

is a very cost effective method for producing one offs and small production runs (I don't have any connection to them other than as a customer).

Finally remember that your time has value. Work out what your time is worth and how long it will take you to make a decent case, then see if it still the best option to make your own rather than staying focussed on the electronics.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

What specifically do you mean by 'good'? 2x2 uprights & chip shelves are a simple option.

Another option that can fly in places with low ceilings is a long shelf 6" below the ceiling, onto which various kit is placed, with the leads coming down to working height. Good where space is needed and access to kit is only needed here and there. Eg power supplies, servers, desktop PCs, UPS, pattern gens, etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That sounds like a near standard rack mounting size. Have you looked at the suppliers of such things?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry. I'm looking for a plastic case.

I don't think I'll be able to find a case off-the-shelf that will work for this.

It is designed to lay flat (the 3" being the height) and has several controls on the top sides with a large (15") LCD screen mounted in the middle of the top. The inside also needs to have ribs to support/segregate the various electronic components and to provide clearance for shielding to prevent certain components from interfering with certain other components.

The edges of the case also need to be eased and wide side to wide side it is a slightly wedged shape, with the thickness (height) at one of the wide sides being 2.75" and the thickness at the other wide side being 3.25". The wedge shape being integral to it's functionality.

Reply to
tillius

countrywww.the-brights.net

Thank you. I will check sylgard out.

Reply to
tillius

Thanks, the rack mounted cases are better designed for rack mounted devices and I don't believe they would work well for my application. See my previous responses listing additional requirements.

Thanks for all your replies.

Reply to
tillius

well, thats the first fraction of the information

NT

Reply to
meow2222