Do ring main cables have to be concealed (i.e., chased or in trunking)?

I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it would be neater without.
Thank you...
Rich

Hi Rich.
Its all about mechanical protection. eg.. If you were hovering and slap it with tthe hoover.
Typical Twin & Earth cable (T&E) on its own isn't the toughest cable... infact, its only really designed to suffer scuffs and light abrasion when pulling in.
If it were me, i'd find a way of doing it where it can be protected inside a wall, trunking etc. Have you looked at Oval conduit or mini trunking?
Also... have a look at your local B&Q... the have many ways of offering protection such low profile concealers.
Shay

Ok - thanks for the suggestions.
Rich
Rich wrote:

If you surface wire then you can follow any route you like. However the proposed route would not be suitable if the cable were chased into the wall. The cable does not have to be in trunking, but you need to erect it in such a way as it is unlikely to get damaged.
You might consider instead running straight up from the current socket to the top of the wall. Then along at just below ceiling level, then back down to the required position. That way it would be following a permitted route should you wish to chase it in later (say next time the room is decorated).
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:49:56 +0100, John Rumm

Yes - I wondered about that. Another reason for surface-wiring it.

Well, it will be well above floor level.

That's a possibility. Thanks for the suggestions and info.
Rich

It's ok without trunking - but be sensible about the run to prevent accidental damage from Hoovers, chair legs etc.
--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

No, cables don't have to be concealed. Actually, if they are concealed, there are restrictions on where they are allowed to be routed.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Put it how you like, you ask a very odd question. Who is going to know anyway unless you take a full page advert in the local papers.

I just didn't want to plan anything that's blatently illegal or cowboyish-looking. I'm mainly wary of causing myself problems when I come to sell the place or rent it out - wither of which is very possible shortly.
Rich