Best form of hireable transportation for materials pickup?

I think it is technically an MGV. HGVs no longer exist. They're called LGVs now. You need category C1 (or C) to drive an MGV and C to drive an LGV. You need +E if you want to attach a large trailer, or the vehicle is articulated.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

No it isn't an HGV. They aren't called HGV any more anyway, it is LGV now. If you do not have category C1 on your licence (apparently the date this changed was 1/1/97), you need to take a LGV class C1 test to be able to drive one.

The silly thing is, the test (and cost of training etc) is virtually the same as for LGV class C (which was HGV class II) which allows you to drive up to 18 tonnes. So if you are going to the bother of taking the test you may as well go for the bigger version.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Thanks a lot for all the input on this. Thankfully, my question was clear enough for me to get the answers I needed in the early stages of the thread. Sorry that my lack of *GV nouse revved up the road ragers. :)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It takes two to tango, would this branch of the thread be here without you help...? :-)

Reply to
chris French

I had a feeling you could go upto 7.5T without needing an HGV licence... (Ford Cargo type size)?

(Pretty sure a friend of mine has done it on several occations, not that this is a cast iron guarentee that you don't need a licence since that is the sort of "detail" he is apt to gloss over!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Just checked my one and it has C1 (over 3.5T but less than 7.5T), so I guess most of us have that as well?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but

Reply to