Best energy savers

This is the normal problem, OK if you don't want anything different but a right PITA if you do or even simply want the job doing to a decent standard.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No cavity walls, well there are but I'd not want to stuff insulation in =

there otherwise the damp from the solid stone outer walls would get across.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or if you want a non-standard job doing.

Though admittedly what I'm doing is orders of magnitude more work than a guy with a foam gun turning up and doing the cavity, it would have been nice to have been able to claim some of the ~grand back. It might even have resulted in a better insulated place, as I'd have to compromise less.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Those CLFs tend to have a horrible colour to the lighting.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Quite, I almost detect positive discrimination. You can get all manner of grants and things done for free or minimal cost if you are in reciept of certain state benefits but if you are a normal hardworking person, paying loads of taxes, you get beggar all.

And in these days of green awareness "they" should be ensuring that all the housing stock has suffcient insulation, (wall and loft), provide a few CFLs, HW tank jacket, double glazing or at the very least draft proofing. *Not* just the housing stock that just happens to be occupied by people on benefits.

I can see that handing out cash could be very easily be abused so using a limited "approved contractors" list is an easy way to reduce that. But I feel that an "approved contractors" list is too restrictive. There ought to be an options to use a contractor of your choice and products of your choice, provided that that contractor has the relevant industry standard qualifications or to DIY and have an inspection to show the work has been done properly using suitable materials.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Your prejudices are showing :-)

They are doing.

The only reason we haven't taken advantage is that we already have everything the LA will provide, have had it for years.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's the situation now but wind back 20 years or so and the council only paid out against a VAT receipt for the materials.

Reply to
Matt

And in some ways, 'they' are in a unique position. Considering UK PLC - spending local tax money in the economy in order to directly reduce imports of foreign energy may make lots of sense.

Even if this is _completely_ free to the people whos houses it's put into, and is not means tested.

Reply to
Ian Stirling