Best energy savers

A light meter will almost certainly disagree.

Some CFL spots are _horrible_ in performance though, and do indeed produce a fraction of the light.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I got four free from Scottish Power, two free from the Jobcentre at a careers fair.

I've only got six lightbulbs in the whole flat!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Given the prices British Gas charge they could afford to give you one for every room in the house, a dozen spare for a rainy day and a free holiday in the sun.

British Gas "Gas" 4.959p per kWh Equigas "Gas" 2.430p per kWh

(Quarterly billing, pay on receipt of bill by cash/cheque/BACS transfer)

Reply to
Matt

Compact fluorescents have a large light source, and that makes for a poor spotlamp.

The 23W GE Genura produces more light than a 100W R80 flood lamp which it replaces (and AFAIK, is still the only compact fluorescent to do so). However, it's a very different design to any other compact fluorescent (which I've described in detail in previous posts).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

LA = Los Angeles?.... a VERY expensive place to live !!!

Reply to
Staffbull

Use biological washing powders - which I DO NOT and I would have my sewerage system in tatters ( I have a septic tank. I works bloody well but it doesnt need a load of enzymes down it!). That aside I am alergic to bio powders anyway.

The question is which is the lesser evil Biological washing powders or my washing at boil wash with a non bio powder?

Reply to
notpastityet?

So people tell me, but I don't use a lightmeter to see by. I do use my eyes, hence even if the difference is subjective it is important.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I recently got rid of my 30+ year old fridge for a rate A new one. I was shouted at by the LA refuse disposal dept for daring to change my appliances! They said my doing so was causing great damage to the earth and it was not " green" of me!

So stuck between a stone and a hard place as they say. Buy new to save energy and be told you are wasting the planet with your items of disposal or keep the old and be inefficient.

By the way I brought my new fridge because my old one gave up the ghost ( blew up!)

Maybe I should not have replaced the appliance at all. That would be much greener now wouldn't it? Better still , had I not bought a fridge in the first place back in the

1970's. there would be no need to dispose of it , worn out as it is, now. Another saving...... but what about the jobs of those folk who make them?

Can I win? Nah! So I dont bother.

Reply to
notpastityet?

Interesting, all the spots we have are GE branded. They are still s**te, and even if they start out seeming reasonably bright they dim down after a few months.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No mate, nowhere near !! you wouldnt beleive what it costs to live there and it is a horrid place too boot !! We may complain about the UK, but there would be no way I'd live in the states, any of them !!

Reply to
Staffbull

I'm averaging five per room, 10 rooms, plus the outside stuff plus the workshop and the utility room but they both have flourescents anyhoo.

Reply to
Staffbull

Yebbut we live in a house ... we have seven low energy bulbs and one of those tiny things in just one room - but we rarely have more than two on at the same time. They're only used to light work areas. Where I'm knitting and where Spouse is tatting.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I made up a string of 30 20W of the CFL's from morrisons, for use in the garage. It's amazing - I can actually see stuff in there now.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I got 5 free (Philips branded) after doing an home energy survey thing. I was hoping to get some (more) loft insulation. What we have is in poor condition and covered in debris from the roof replacement. I'd like to chuck it all out and start a fresh with 100mm between the current ceiling joists, fit more 100mm joists cross ways fill that void and board.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not surprised with 30 !!!

Reply to
Staffbull

LA = Local Authority. Nearly as expensive as Los Angeles though _ SE Cornwall.

Reply to
notpastityet?

It is a rather large garage - 10m*5m, and has no effective windows.

Limewashing the roof helped lots too.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That is bigger than my whole flat!

Yes, my lounge has a similar problem :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What's stopping you? :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Youd get a grant towards that, phone your local council, My grant form has gone in for topping up existing roof insulation in the "old" part of the house and cavity wall isulation, the extension's all kitted out with "mucho" kingspan 'n rockwool, with K glass throughout, dunno how effective the K glass is really, how the hell do you measure it? nice little earner for Pilkington though

Reply to
Staffbull