Benefits of K glass?

Desiccants are available in slow absorbtion rates, for use when they will be exposed for some time during manufacturing processes and you don;t want them used up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You do... the name of this group should give you a hint :)

Reply to
Gazz

Would depend how the filling is done, I suppose. Simplest way would presumably be two holes through the seal, pump argon in through one to let it push the air out through the other. Dunno how you decide when you're done, but that method wouldn't give you 100%.

I would have thought that if you got more than 80% or 90% fill you'd be getting most of the benefit of argon's lower thermal conductivity. The air you breathe is nearly 1% argon anyway.

The argon atom (weight 18) is marginally heavier than either the nitrogen or oxygen molecules (14 & 16 resp.) so I might have imagined a greater tendency for air to diffuse in, but then prolly an argon atom would be smaller than either of the N2 or O2 molecules which would thus indicate a greater tendency for argon to diffuse out. What a helpful analysis!

What are the seals actually made of, anyway. They'd need to be chunky otherwise the units would fall to bits on handling.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Blubber.

Reply to
polygonum

No sorry, the columns are for different spacings...

Oops - missed out a critical line from:

Glass specification Cavity 12 mm 16 mm 20 mm float/air/float 2.9 2.7 2.8 float/argon/float 2.7 2.6 2.6 float/air/Pilkington K Glass 1.9 1.7 1.8 float/argon/Pilkington K Glass 1.6 1.5 1.5

Overall thickness of unit(mm) 20 24 28

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, mea culpa... reposted.

Although slightly confusing in that its totalled from the individual elements thermal resistances, but is expressed as a thermal conductance.

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect that all this heat reflecting stuff works against us, as well as for us. I'm 99% sure that the thermal input into the house from the sun has dropped now that we have double glazing with fancy glass.

Only 99%, because we haven't had a lot of sun in the last year...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Interesting, it looks like there is no significant advantage in the

20mm gap above the 16mm gap if the argon does diffuse out in a couple of years.

We had bi fold wooden shutters over the sash windows at the digs in

1969, they made a difference to the single pane of glass.
Reply to
news

I'm not sure that that can be right. The coating on K-glass reflects outbound 'heat' back into the house so the house retains more of the solar radiation it receives than it would have with traditional glass.

BICBW...

It will be true to some extent..

the double glazing will reflect almost twice the energy to start with.

then the K layer will reflect some of the "heat" from the surroundings back, just as it does with the "heat" from inside.

There is probably a net gain, at least on the sunny side.

Reply to
dennis