Bending radiators?

Apparently the double ones are split, bent and rewelded back together again.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That's what I thought. Damn hard welding stuff that thin. I haven't done anything with stuff like that for 35 years and that was a car.

Reply to
dennis

Erm, I took it that Ed meant that a double radiator was seperated into

2 x singles. Not that single radiators are separated into 2 x skins.

ICBW.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

That is what he said. I never mentioned separating the skins. However you would have to re-weld the couplings and they are thick steel to very thin steel which I believe can be rather hard. Its easy in the factory when you can put a couple of thousands of amps through a resistance welder but not with the more common DIY welder.

Reply to
dennis

He said:

"Apparently the double ones are split, bent and rewelded back together again."

A tad ambiguous that.

It was your mention of "Thin" you see ...

Don't have any doubles here ATM but FWIR they are like 2 singles coupled together with thickish metal struts about 60 cms long.

Wouldn't they just cut through these and re-join them afterwards. ?

IGWS they'd have to be able to get them through the bending machine, but could that not be achieved without being able to avoid having to weld directly onto the thin skin of the 2 single radiators that made up the double ?

And probably before the 2 skins are assembled to form a single panel radiator, itself destined to be married with another to make a double.

BICBW

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Not on the ones I was watching being welded. Two singles, push in the joining pipes, put a few thousands amps through, welded, takes a three or four seconds.

Reply to
dennis