bending an old bow saw blade

I have an old bow saw blade that I need to put a right angle bend into. The blade won't be used for sawing once the bend is in place. Will I able to simply heat this up then bend it in a vice like any other piece of steel, or will the fact it is hardened cause an issue.

Reply to
deckertim

blade won't be used for sawing once the bend is in place.

of steel, or will the fact it is hardened cause an issue.

Get it red hot and it will bend. Let it cool naturally and the heated bit will be (relatively) soft but that presumably doesn't matter. Quench it from red heat in water or oil, and it will harden, but is likely to be brittle.

Reply to
newshound

blade won't be used for sawing once the bend is in place.

piece of steel, or will the fact it is hardened cause an issue.

Thanks, worked a treat.

Reply to
deckertim

Just being nosey, but why do you want to do this?

Reply to
Nick