Belmont radiator valve O-rings.

On these valves, the seals can be replaced, by removing the spindle. Just checked with Pegler, =A31.34 per O-ring! I have several old valves to maintain. Does anyone know of any similar O- ring that may work OK? - I don't know the exact size. I would not think the material is that critical, only water and Fernox in the system. Any advice much appreciated, thank-you.

Reply to
4square

I share your pain! I have 17 radiators, each with two Pegler/Belmont valves, each valve requiring 2 O-rings. The system is 35 years old but in reasonable condition thanks to Fernox. A few years ago I needed to replace the O-rings, found I could only get them from Pegler and the price was crazy. I kicked up a stink and got a reasonable reduction in the price but it was still a rip-off. The problem is complicated by the fact that some valves have "notched" spindles others don't and they require different O-rings (red or green). Also the bathroom radiators on the gravity feed have larger 1/2" valves, notched and un-notched! If anyone knows of generic O-rings to meet these 4 combinations I'd also be most grateful.

Thanks

ChipMonk

Reply to
ChipMonk

I should add, the chap I spoke to at Pegler this morning did say there wasn't a lot of difference between red and green, but didn't say how much! In the shed just now, I applied the trusty Aldi digital caliper to a new red o-ring I have, and although tricky to measure soft materials accurately, it seems to be 1/16 inch by half- inch OD. The material is softer than some ordinary o-rings I got at B & Q, but some of them are the right size - they are in packets according to material dia., not OD. I might try to contact a trade seals supplier, and find out about different materials. My house is

1964, original rads. and valves. I don't like replacing things unless essential!
Reply to
4square

In article ,

4square writes

I've found

a useful one-stop shop for this sort of stuff and their data is good, nitrile 1/2" o/d by 1/16" material is size BS012, RS code 689-631, 2.11+vat for 50. At those prices you can afford to buy a range of sizes. RS will deal with individuals via the website no problem but can get a bit arsey at the trade counters.

Alternatively, use their data to select, then buy from a local engineering supplier using the BS size/code.

Reply to
fred

Just buy a selection box for about a tenner. If you start to run out of the size you need then you may be able to get a large number from BES or such like.

Reply to
Ed Sirett