beko any good ?

We need a freezer that is suitable for use in a garage. So far all I've turned up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?

Reply to
fred

Based on a sample of 1 (ours) they seem to be ok. :) It's a few years old now and we've not had any problems so far. Build quality is similar to the usual stuff - Electrolux etc. No bells and whistles on ours - it's pretty basic.

Reply to
mick

up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?

Cheap, probably as good as Hotpoint. Not the Rolls Royce of the industry though.

Reply to
Old Codger

For some reason I though that there were made in Poland.

But I've Googed and found that they are the same Turkish company who make Vestel electronic equipment [1], though they do have a factory in Romania, so they may be made there.

Hm are the reliable? Well Vestel electronic are feature-wise rather good, but the do suffer from reliability problems :-(

[1] which for those who don't know, badge nearly all of the "own brand" electronic equipment than you can buy in the UK
Reply to
tim......

urned up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?Ads not by this site

Turkish.

harry

up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?

They did have a safety recall recently. But i have two large Bekos in the shed and they are fine. Had then five years. The only crit is that the drawer fronts are brittle.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

We're happy with ours, three years old now. It's actually a fridge/freezer, and it's wider, at 700mm, than the normal models, and holds proportionately a lot more.

Further, it has a nice little ice-maker device. None of this plumbed in twaddle (I don't need ice in the winter, neither do I want to waste a lot of internal space with ice-maker plumbing). What it has is a space for the ice-tray, with a collector underneath. Wen the ice has frozen you turn the knobs and the tray twists, so the cubes drop out into the collector tray. Then you refill the water tray. Plenty of ice available on hot days without a lot of wasted space. Perfect.

Reply to
Tim Streater

up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?

Got a 12 year old fridge freezer of theirs, never had a problem.

Reply to
Eric

urned up is a Beko model.

We got a Beko freezer for our garage for the same reason: it's one of the few rated to run at a low ambient temperature. It's been entirely trouble free for a few years, so I would recommend it.

Richard.

Richard Russell

up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?

My parents had a Beko fridge which was fine, although slightly noisy.

Last year, friends of ours had their house burnt out and their dogs killed by a fire caused by a Beko fridge-freezer.

There have been at least two safety recalls of Beko appliances in recent years.

20 fires due to Beko appliances were recorded in London between 2008 and 2011.

I think I've gone off them!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Our Hotpoint 'fridge (the Anti-Tardis) is like that. Personally, I prefer a built-in automatic icemaker, but each to his own. The Hotpoint one fails if we have people around, it runs out too quickly, and can't make any more fast enough.

Reply to
Davey

Depends on who you ask. I think their latest incarnation is Turkish owned. There have been issues with reliability in their washing an dishwashing machines, but from looking t them they do seem a bit flimsy compared to the more well known makes, but like most things if you get a friday model... etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh dear, well, I was under the impressing that the compressors in Beko were in fact made in the same italian factory as most of the other makes were.. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I take the point but that's rare enough for us not to be a problem. If we were having a party or something where lots of ice might be needed we'd just buy a bag as part of the supplies.

You can always prestock using the beko one but of course that takes a bit of planning and memory which is getting in shorter supply as the years pass. :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

snip

We now have a bag of ice always in there ready, then the unplanned gatherings are catered for. But we still hanker after the US-style built-in units, that just keep on making ice without intervention. We got used to them when we lived there.

Reply to
Davey

turned up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?

+1 Freezer drawers are all cracked. The runers in the body are also prone to failure.

We also have a Beko frodge, which is fine.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

As others have said, one of the few (in fact the only one I found) which are rated to work at freezing or below.

Which is a must for anything kept in a garage or other outbuilding which is not centrally heated over winter.

We have only had our small chest freezer for a few months but it is a chest and it freezes.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Being made in the same factory doesn't always mean made to the same standard.

In reality it makes it less likely that you will get the best ones because the top quality brands will get all the ones that pass their requirements and the lower quality brand will get all the rest

tim

Reply to
tim......

We have a dishwasher and fridge by Beko - they haven't been any better or worse than the usual Zanussi, Hotpoint etc. Wouldn't worry about buying another product by them.

Reply to
Steve Walker

"Steve Walker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Difficult to make sweeping statements about a particular brand name as the perceived quality changes over time. Many on this group would like to see everthing held together with screws and have repairable parts. Alas items are now made for economy of manufacture. Modules are supplied to other brands, designs are shared, etc.

Reply to
DerbyBorn