bearings: different grades & qualities

You should. You'ld be amazed at what a bright girl can pick up at an engineering company..apart from a 'dose' of course..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the elements, or at least the moisture and

getting access to it means erecting a scaffold tower.

that is going to last. I expect that 'any brand name'

after a couple a months, thus I want to get it right

a scaffolding tower and then building up the turbine

maybe even once every 18 months if possible, and

Go for stainless steel, oil lubed and fully shielded.

If corrosion/dirt rather than actual wear is the problem.

There are various grades of steel used as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure where you got that info. DuPont did a study on bearing quality and Toyo (Koyo?)) wasn't even considered. NTN had the highest quality rating and as a result, DuPont corporate policy is to use NTN only.

Reply to
REMOVE

the elements, or at least the moisture and

getting access to it means erecting a scaffold tower.

that is going to last. I expect that 'any brand name'

after a couple a months, thus I want to get it right

a scaffolding tower and then building up the turbine

maybe even once every 18 months if possible, and

Hi,

Try alt.energy.homepower and maybe alt.energy.renewable, and trawl the archives of them. There's likely to be good info on maintaining wind gens at least, and maybe something on the best bearings for them too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember tomcarlson(REMOVE)@sbcglobal.net (Tom) saying something like:

If that works for them, fine. Toyo are outstanding, imo and experience.

Looking NTN up, as I hadn't come across them, it seems that Toyo and NTN are very closely tied up anyway.

Grimly Curmudgeon

If your bearings are starting to go out after only 2 months, that is only 1500 hours. And if I assume that many of those hours are not high load (or no load), I'd say you have a design problem that won't be solved with a better bearing. Moisture, dirt, axial loads, overloads, bad mounting surface all come to mind.

I'd certa>

the elements, or at least the moisture and

getting access to it means erecting a scaffold tower.

that is going to last. I expect that 'any brand name'

after a couple a months, thus I want to get it right

a scaffolding tower and then building up the turbine

maybe even once every 18 months if possible, and

Reply to
RoyJ