BBC outside Broadcasts Why?

What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Very true. Move Wimbledon into a studio. You just know it makes sense.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Yes spend the money on CGI tennis. Brian
--
----- --

Didn't realise the capital was so much later than Glasgow. The temporary Aberdeen one at Redmoss was in place for the coronation too.

Father was in the motor trade and went to the London show each year, so saw TV at his sister's place, long before it made it up north. And saw it as a way of getting out taking the family to the cinema. So got one as soon as it arrived. ;-)
--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

They were both served by Kirk o'Shotts, which (according to Pawley) actually opened on 17 August 1952. Not having parents who were interested in TV I didn't note the date.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I should have read this before posting. Looking again, there exists the possibility that the whole service area was not reached from the start.
The BBC 405-line television service in Scotland started from Kirk o'Shotts on 14 March 1952 using low power reserve transmitters (Marconi). Full service began on 17 August 1952 using the main high power transmitters. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_o%27Shotts_transmitting_station
Maybe parts of Glasgow were served before parts of Edinburgh?

Sounds like it since Charles is likely correct. The one at Aberdeen was temporary too. Situated close to town along with the MF transmitters. The later permanent one at Old Meldrum, along with the FM transmitters.
--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:38:05 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Surely Glasgow and Edinburgh got the same signal from Kirk O'Shotts, starting in 1952? I thought there was a push to open the main transmitters in time for the Coronation.

Yes - the dole was very good to me. Got me a house worth over a million with a Porsche parked outside. And a large enough pension for my needs.
Why I don't whinged on and on about how unfair life has been and want to go back to the 50s, like you.
--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

On 18/09/2019 16:12, Broadback wrote:

I don't see the point of OB on radio. How do we know they are genuine?
--
Max Demian

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:03:23 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

How do you know a TV OB is genuine?
--
Cheers
Dave.

Exactly. If the Americans can stage a lunar landing from a studio in California, why would anyone need to move outside?
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 3:38:33 PM UTC+1, Scott wrote:

A friend went into his fathers house to find him watching football, and enj oying the game. His father said it was a good game, lot of goals. Score was something like 12-10. My mate then looked more closely and realised it was a screening of a xbox game. So the op may be correct.