Bayko Screwdriver ....

Hands up who still uses their Bayko screwdriver from the 50's ? ....

Reply to
Post Amature Radio times ...

In message , Post Amature Radio times ... writes

Of course. And various Meccano screwdrivers and spanners. And the little spanner that came with a Hornby Dublo Duchess.

Reply to
Graeme

good man ....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

I'd not want to use a meccano one on anything electrical, its just a bent piece of rod after all! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I did have some Bayko, it was originally my mum's younger brother's. I was a Betta Bilda fan myself, my grandmother insisted in calling it Bayko.

I had one of those Meccano frugal screwdrivers, probably the least ergonomic tool I have ever used.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Brian, the bent rod was the bottom of the range screwdriver. Meccano made some lovely wooden handled drivers and, later, plastic handled.

Reply to
Graeme

Hands up who else remembers Bayko! I saw a set for sale a few years ago...

Reply to
Bob Eager

One of my best screwdrivers is a Meccano plastic handled

36a which came with the Meccano clock kit no.2. 36a seems to be a part number they used for lots of different better quality screwdrivers over the years, as opposed to the wire loop ones.

The screwdriver has been in my toolbox for last 40+ years and is made of very nice quality steel. The Meccano mark has worn off the handle though. A quick browse of Meccano websites doesn't find a matching one though.

For that matter, I still have the clock kit made up, but it's not running. A couple of parts are missing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've got a 5000 Volt Stead.

Reply to
Graham.

I had a set that origanally belonged to my uncle, I thouhht it had serious limitations compared to my extensive Betta Builder collection, espescially regarding roof construction, and my pocket money bought me loads at Woolworth's. I could not understand why Lego was so popular, when Betta Builder was so much more flexable.

Reply to
Graham.

I had Meccano. A while back I was looking at some from the time for some re ason, and thought that's odd it doesn't look like mine at all. It turned ou t what was presented to me as new was really a hodge podge of parts going b ack to the 1920s. How times change.

I like old tools, at least the ones that are decent.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Graham. used his keyboard to write :

I remember toy I saw in the 1950's, where you built using miniature bricks and some sort of cement. Anyone remember those?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, it was called Brickplayer. Paste made with flour was quite adequate and you could dissolve your structure afterwards.

But I was no good as a brickie, all my structures were irregular. I think Bayko was better and actually reflected some of the building techniques of the time. I saw some new-town houses being put up quite quickly in Crawley using possibly concrete panels.

Reply to
Tim Streater

you should have added sone fairy liquid .....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

then there was minibrix ....

jim.gm4dhj

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Quite a range shown on the NZ Meccano site :

Graeme

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

"Brickplayer"? I think the 'mortar' was like wallpaper paste and the bricks could be re-used after soaking your brickwork in water.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Yes, I had Bayko in the late 50s, passed on from my older cousin. It was then passed on by mother to I don't know whom. ISTR the screwdriver was short (4"?) and had a pale green plastic handle.

I also had a Meccano set, No 3, and some parts from the 20s/30s which had been my father's. The screwdriver was the bent piece of rod mentioned elsewhere on the thread. Again, the Meccano was disposed of by my mum. She also gave away my Dinky car collection, some in the original boxes. When I see the price they go for now!!!!

Reply to
John J Armstrong

Tim Streater has brought this to us :

Thanks, that is the one. Watson Cairns (SP?) Leeds used to sell them and had them on demo, one time when I was taken there. It was the best toy shop in Leeds and sold toys, bikes and motorbikes. I was given the choices of one of those kits, something else?, or an absolutely marvellous die-cast lorry, which was designed to be stripped down to its various parts. It had proper tiny nuts and bolts, wheels and tyres, steering which worked, prop shaft and maybe a spring motor. I chose the lorry.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I remember those lorry adverts....cool

Reply to