Bay windows aarrgghhh!!!

I don't know of any dg firm that will take the rap for your masonry falling apart when the old windows come out. They're not builders after all, and they need to cover themselves against unscrupulous customers who want their wall re-rendered for free. I'd say that's a pretty normal disclaimer. Ask other local firms before you get involved with cancellations and legal wrangling. Most of the firms I've had dealings with do a good job in minimising damage but where interior decor or outside masonry overlaps the old frame, it isn't always possible

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'm using Agent and it is shown as 2 threads the second one starting with daddyfreddys RE posting altho' the second thread is immediately below the first one but that may just be down to good luck .As you say it probably happened because of the change in spacing in the title Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

No he isn't - your newsreader is threading by subject line rather than by references.

Reply to
Rob Morley

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 01:58:29 +1300, Nick wrote: |> |> |Guy King wrote: |> | |> |> The message |> |> from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words: |> |> |> |> |> |>>Ask them if it's standard or if it's just particular to your place |> |>>because it's in a poor state. |> |> |> |> |> |> You're at it again - starting a new thread to answer a question instead |> |> of doing it under the one you're replying to. |> |> |> |> Are you aware you're doing it? |> |> |> |> If so, why do you do it? |> |> |> |> If not, then "You're starting a new thread to answer each question". |> |> Please stop it! |> | |> |Can you explain what you are talking about? |> |daddyfreddy's post contains nige's name and text, and nige's |> |original message ID. |> |> You are posting to usenet which has a very useful method of keeping track |> of who is replying to which post, called threading. This is automatically |> kept track of by the header line: |> References: |> |> |> |> This *essential* when threads get to hundreds of posts, dozens of layers |> deep.

|If you actually had a look at the headers, you will see that |daddyfreddy's post contained that reference line perfectly. |Please go and look now. | |> I note that you are using Mozilla/5.0 |> User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 |> Perhaps someone using Mozilla could explain which wrong button you are |> hitting. | |As I have already explained in this thread, the problem is |occurring because Google removes superfluous blanks from the |subject line, and some deficient newsreaders interpret that as a |change of thread. |I hope you will all have the decency to apologise to daddyfreddy.

Your explanation came after my post :-( The usenet propagation system is and always was cr*p.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

My copy of Agent has it all in one thread

Reply to
Matt

I'm simply clicking on reply within the thread. There's no new thread being created or visible on my side.

I've noted new threads being created by other posters before and I've often wondered what it was about. I just assumed it was some quirk.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

You obviously know more than me about it, Nick. In any case, cheers for your support mate. Are all my posts coming up this way? I go through google newsgroups and on my end I've never seen that I've created a new thread. All I do is click on reply then post my crap below the quoted original. I've never touched the subject title, ever.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Whats the purpose of going through Googs to read the newsgroup?

TA

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yep, I've noticed that as well. Before the last thread posted to would go to the top and revert to blue. Now it just stays purple. I'm on IE6 right now.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Too tight to pay for a news service?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

|On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:05:22 +0000, Stuart | wrote: | |>I'm using Agent and it is shown as 2 threads | |My copy of Agent has it all in one thread

Agent has several methods of threading I have definitely seen it but can not find them now :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|Whats the purpose of going through Googs to read the newsgroup?

I use it on rare occasions, but IME Google groups is by far the worst way of accessing usenet.

Far better to get a newsreader and a newsserver,

News.individual.net is the best of the bunch, if a bit prissy about what they will let you do.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks, people,

really appreciate your replies, will either try and get them to do the work without disclaimer or get my deposit back and go elsewhere,

really annoyed with myself for not getting advice first, but i am new to window installations and didnt imagine there would be much of a problem.

thanks

nige

Reply to
nige

  1. Google archives uk.d-i-y all the way back to 1994. Before people post a new query it may be useful to browse Google to see if the query has already been answered, thus saving everybody's time. e.g. whether to choose a steel or plastic bath, for example.
  2. If somebody needs to use a variety of computers, they may not have a suitable newsreader (and the newsgroups will certainly be out of step with each other). Google and other browser-based newsreaders are accessible from any machine.
  3. Using Google Groups enables you to check what's in a newsgroup without subscribing to it and downloading thousands of headers. That's very useful when deciding whether a newsgroup is suitable for your purpose.

However, dedicated newsreaders have many great features such as "ignore thread" that makes them more preferable to use.

Reply to
Nick

I've tried from home (also IE6) and it all works as it used to do. The PC at work has probably had the latest M$ patches so it may be a bug in IE.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I don't use IE but the "visited links" feature is probably driven from IE's History option. Check to see that "Days to keep pages in history" is not zero, or that someone is not deleting the history each day.

See Tools/Internet Options/General/History/Days to keep pages in history

Another explanation may be that Google are now generating a different random key each time you look at the same item. That could easily be checked if anyone is interested.

Reply to
Nick

I'd say the problem only occurs after somebody puts multiple blanks in the subject line, and somebody replies using Google, and then somebody reads the thread by sorting on Subject Line instead of Thread. I do think that it's a bug in Google, although they possibly put it in as a feature. I could tell them about it, but even if they fix it, that will take a long time.

Google are the people archiving all this stuff and allowing us to search it for nothing, so I suppose we should be grateful. A vast and ever-increasing number of people are discovering Usenet by looking at Google, so the bug will keep annoying a few people unless multiple blanks are avoided in the subject.

Reply to
Nick

Get your money back as the surveyor should have pointed out the problem.

I have seen what these cowboys can do in removing the supprt from your upper bay. Get some more quotes and if you really do need new windows, your own survey.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I think clearing the cache might fix it.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave Fawthrop saying something like:

Right click on the group, sort threads by whatever...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon