Baxi fire battery

Today, having just unblocked the loo, I was told that the gas fire wouldn't light. It's a Baxi Dream (I think) and has a little 9 volt battery (alkaline

6F22) that usually runs the clicking thing that lights the fire. I tried to get the original 8-year old battery out. Eventually, with the aid of 2 screwdrivers, I managed to lever it out.

Then, try as I might, I couldn't get the replacement to stay in place. The concept of the battery holder seems to be that the bottom of the battery should be placed against the end of the battery holder and the two clips on the connector end pushed over some shaped springy wire. The trouble seems to be that the batteries are slightly larger than the ones the designer had when he specified the shape of the springy wire rather than specifying standard connectors. The replacement (Poundland) battery seems exactly the same size as the original.

I wondered if anyone had one of these fires and had encountered the problem. I don't really want to have to try dismantling the fire and the missus is threatening to get a man in.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

OK, sort of solved.

I went through my stock of new batteries with a micrometer. The one that came out was the same thickness and length, but 0.03mm less wide than the alkaline PP3 that didn't fit. I found a non-alkaline battery, a Sony Ultra heavy duty, that, compared to the original, measured approx 0.04mm less in both width and thickness and was very slightly shorter, and that fitted.

The Baxi instructions suggest Ever Ready Silver Seal, which appears to be some sort of higher performance zinc battery. I see that used ones are advertised on ebay as vintage collectors items.

Reply to
Bill