Battery voltage ?

Image is of batteries in a Remington electric cord/cordless shaver. The batteries are dead although it still works from mains. From the image is it possible to tell what voltage I require? I dont see any markings indicating voltage.

ss

That's two 1.2V NiMH cells, probably AAA size 650mAh going by the markings.

do it, and have a larger capacity too.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks for confirming.

Reply to
ss

Each of those cells will be a standard 1.2v because that is what NiMh technology produces.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yup, what they said: AAA tagged NiMh cells - 1.2V 650mAh

Reply to
John Rumm

ss brought next idea :

Those are two NiMH 650mA either AA or AAA. To be sure of the size, compare to an ordinary AA or AAA. You can buy much higher capacity versions now, but buy from a reputable seller because many have a faked capacity. You need a type fitted with solder tags, but there is a work around if you are used to soldering.

You cannot solder to batteries with electronic type mulit-core solder. You can manage to solder to them using a dab of plumbers flux, which is much more aggressive. Soldering to batteries has to be done in as short a time as possible, to avoid damage.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

No, but they clearly say NiMh

So they are tagged AA NiMh cells

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I will go for the tagged batteries, be a safer bet for me.

Reply to
ss

They are a lot easier.

You can solder chrome plated end plates if you rough the chrome up, And you don't need special flux, but you need a helluva hot iron.

Back in the day you could get massive 'hammerhead' bits and a little channel into which you popped your cells, and with the bit between two cells melt the solder on each one, remove the bit and sling them together to solder them end to end.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher explained on 02/06/2020 :

I had to find some way to connect to an untagged Li-ion AA last week. In anticipation, I tried to make a small spot welder, using a car battery, heavy cable, connector and 2.5mm, relay and push-button. It failed miserably, the relay's contact resistance was too high. I ended up using my plumber's flux soldering trick. I managed well enough with my old 20w iron - the trick to avoid damaging the cells, is speed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Really? News to me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I replace the dead ones I will give the flux soldering a go on the dead ones, and see what happens.

Reply to
ss

You need a reasonably large bit and a hot iron. Obviously clean things first. Then ordinary leaded multicore will work just fine. You need to do it as quickly as possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, the end of a battery is a big thermal sink you need a lot of heat from somewhere to get it hot enough for the solder to take. A tiddly littel bit designed for fine PCB work isn't going to have enough heat in it to heat the end of a battery suffciently or quickly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I`ll give it a go I have some leaded multi core and some flux, be a bit of practice for the future. Nothing to lose as will be binning the old ones.

Reply to
ss