Battery Tester

Many years ago the GPO had "Coils Testing" for individual dry cells (usually large ones such as Flag cells (R40 and the like)). It had a resistive load connected via a press button. You connected it across the cell and a voltmeter. First of all you measured the emf directly on the voltmeter, then pressed the button and measured the pd to enable a sort of "measurement" of internal resistance. You held the load button down for, ISTR, a minute and again read the meter (after releasing the button) - this time to see the effect of polarisation (gas building up on the internal electrodes). By reference to tables and, more effectively, experience you got a good idea of the condition of the cell.

There - I've just looked it up - the load applied by the testing coil is 2 ohms.

As described:-

(i) Measure the open circuit emf of the cell: let this be E1 volts.

(ii) Connect a 2 ohm resistor across the cell and measure the terminal pd - V volts.

(iii) Remove the resistor from across the cell after one minute and measure the emf immediately the resistor is disconnected:- call this E2 volts.

The value of V and E1 enable the internal resistance r to be calculated, for the current is I = E1/(2+r) and the voltage drop across the internal resistance is Ir = E1r/(2+r) = (E1 - V)

from which r may be found.

The difference between E1 and E2 indicates the back-emf of polarisation. E2 should not be less than 1·2V.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

And maybe a bit over the top for testing an AA cell

Reply to
geoff

I do. But its range on DC volts is not comprehensive to register anything meaningful on an AA battery.

My DMM can't measure DC amps AFAIK

my choice - inherited. Works for me, all I need is AC volts & continuity.

Can you suggest a suitable DMM?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps - but how many perfectly serviceable cells are scrapped nowadays to cause unnecessary pollution? Zinc-carbon is probably fairly innocuous but such things as NiCd, thrown away willy-nilly are likely to not help the environment. Having said that - don't all these things come from the earth in the first place anyway? :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

> Not my choice - inherited. Works for me, all I need is AC volts& > continuity.

You could just get a beefy 7 ohm wire wound resistor. Plonk that across a 1.5V cell and measure the voltage. If it holds 1.5V or there abouts its got life left. If it reads 1.2V and the voltage visibly falls as you measure it, then its had it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not something I've needed to look for recently but, if your present DMM is suitable for all your normal needs, I think some of the suggestions made for dedicated battery testers previously have been cheaper than a better DMM.

However, I'm surprised your current DMM doesn't have a suitable voltage range - hard to tell from the link you posted but, from the picture it seems to be autoranging. Perhaps it doesn't have sufficient display resolution?

I found this completely at random:

for just over £6, has a 2V DC range (shown as 2000mV) and a 10A DC current range, so could usefully complement your existing DMM for a very small outlay!

Reply to
Terry Casey

> or

Thanks Terry