Is there a Cell size between AA and AAA

I went to use my Philips nose hair cutter, but there was no cell in it. I tried an AA and AAA size rechargables, but they were either too long or too short. any thoughts anyone ?

Reply to
me

You can get 1/2 or 2/3 length AA, but they tend to be long life lithium primary cells, but there are some rechargeables e.g.

Andy Burns

There are two smaller batteries A27 and A23, unlike AA and AAA they are both 12v. I doubt they would be used in trimmer as their capacity is quite low and the motor would soon use that up. Both types are normally used in wireless alarm systems either for IR remotes or wireless sensors. A27 is the more common type probably about the diameter of a AAA but shorter whilst the A23 is about the same length but smaller diameter.

Although AA & AAA are long established standards I have come across some rechargeables supposed to be AA that either do not fit or are a tight fit in battery compartments. The same applies to other battery sizes notably in the past when I repaired some radio microphones that somebody had tried to stuff rechargable PP3s in.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Correction. Mixed up the sizes above A23 is the larger more common size, A27 is smaller and more difficult to find.

Apologies Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes there is, but its a multi cell sandwich type, with quite a highish voltage. Its often found in remote controls and the like. I'd not think it should be in any kind of high power device. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yes there is, but its a multi cell sandwich type, with quite a highish voltage. Its often found in remote controls and the like. I'd not think it should be in any kind of high power device. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I'd have thought the device might just have on it, what battery it takes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The type of battery Brian is describing is probably the 12 volt 23A and I agree, unlikely to be the right one. Look up the device instruction manual on the net.

The 3 volt Lithium CR123A is a bit like a short AA, only fatter. Also the CR2.

Reply to
newshound

I did and it says it uses an AA cell, but my rechargable AAs seem to be longer.

Reply to
me

Ah. As others have said, sometimes rechargeables are a bit of a squeeze. Do you actually need a rechargeable? Might well work better with an ordinary alkaline.

Reply to
newshound

Aldidl NiMH in some torches are to big in diameter; tight to get in and a bastard to get out. Eneloop/Panasonic?Fujitsu are OK. Seems rather strange, having a common device that needs uncommon cells.

Reply to
PeterC

Has the spring in the socket got tangled in some way so that the cell won't bed down fully?

Reply to
Dave W

A lot of those (crap) rechargeable solar garden lights have batteries the same diameter as AA batteries but are a lot shorter.

Reply to
alan_m

If the battery is 30mm long it could be an "N" cell = sort of like a

1.5v version of the 12v batteries talked about in the other replies. For some reason they seem popular in certain sex toys ;)

Lee

The Natural Philosopher

Indeed...especially as I misread the length of the AAA cell when suggesting it. Doh! :)

Reply to
Lee