Battery power and DAB radio

On 11/05/2014 19:38, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Outside the zones, next to the door, ghetto blaster double insulated with C7/C8 type mains connector, 3A fuse in mains plug, sat on top of shelving unit, does not get touched (left on one radio station). Power turned on and off at shaver socket. Shaver socket not used for any other purpose so transformer not missed. I'd say probably safer than messing around with batteries.

most of my DAB radios run on mains; however I have a modern one which gives quite a few hours on rechargeable internal battery.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Sounds better anyway and DAB is getting worse, ever lowering of the bitrates;(..
--
Tony Sayer

On 10/05/2014 22:24, tony sayer wrote:

Yup.

You've obviously not tried driving round inner London using FM. ;-)
--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

I have driven around inner London listening to AM.
--
Adam

how painful on the ears.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Twas Danny Baker hosting the show.
--
Adam

On 10/05/2014 17:22, RJH wrote:

Many thanks all for the comments. I 'need' DAB for BBC6, although I have been quite happily using the same FM radio for over 20 years. Good sound and still going strong. It's just that I had this one given to me, and don't have any obvious use for it.
I could extend the mains adapter. I don't like the way it works, though. It stays 'hot' and draws 5W on idle.
I think I'll try 5 x AAs that I have anyway, and see how it pans out in use.
(posted to uk.rec.audio too)
--
Cheers, Rob

scribeth thus

You can receive BBC 6 off air on your mains powered Dabble radio and then re transmit that via an FM sender, quite cheap off e-bay, and then receive it on a much "less power to run" FM portable:)..
Prolly cheaper than a lead acid battery to lug around!..

** Yes haven't we noticed you've got olde Oz Phil Allison started now ***;!...
** You stinking pile of pommy turds have set him off daring to argue! **
--
Tony Sayer

On 13/05/2014 10:27, tony sayer wrote:

I'm not that bothered about R6 TBH!

Yep. Excellent spectator sport :-)
Well, I don't mind but he is a bit extreme.
--
Cheers, Rob

charles wrote:

Yesterday I drove from Scotland to Rotherham and the DAB R4 didn't fail once.
Bill
On 13/05/2014 19:04, Bill Wright wrote:

WOW! That is so exciting. Bet the quality was crap though. You can hear it frying on clean trumpet notes on the DAB in-car tuner pretty easily.
And you have no chance driving over the M62 without hitting dead spots. The worst one is in the deep cutting above Hollingworth Lake.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I'd very much expect you didn't.
Cars do have decent aerials thereon are they are out in the air so to speak;!..
Let alone the number of DAB 'mitters the BBC are putting in service;!..
--
Tony Sayer

On 13/05/2014 20:09, tony sayer wrote:

The quality of Dab is poor in comparison to FM (generally)

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/why-dab-radio-in-the-uk-is-broken-and-how-to-fix-it-1217586

How does that make a difference when comparing DAB and FM reception?

Long long time since the BBC put any transmitter into service.
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Sounds like a very faulty car tuner.
--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Every DAB radio I have ever listened to has audible distortion faults on the right sorts of programme material. FM leaves it standing.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Even when the FM signal is poor?
--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Obviously not. But a better aerial will fix that. You can't do anything about broadcast material that has already been compromised by DAB.
With a decent signal and receiver FM is much better musically and actually in realtime whereas DAB is distorted to a greater or lesser extent and 1-2s slow. FM broadcast quality would require around 192kbps with the poxy DAB encoding the UK uses or 96kbps with DAB+.
The pips are hilarious if you have several models of DAB radios in different rooms. *Never* use them for time checks!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown