Bathroom Wall Panels

I'm just about to refurb a tired bathroom (which has loose wall tiles next to the bath/shower). I'm not keen on re-tiling and am thinking of using interlocking wall panels (a bit like laminate floors but for a wall). They look really easy to fit but has anyone had experience of these? Are they hard to line up etc? I've seen some superb setups in hotels which only an expert could tell from tiles but somehow suspect a DIY job might not be so great!

Also what is the best way of securing these?

Thanks

Reply to
Mitch

================================== I've recently fitted B&Q's version of this type of panel in my new shower cubicle:

's not yet in use because other jobs have intervened. It feels strong enough for normal use but I've fitted it in a way that can be quickly removed and replaced with more conventional tiles if it doesn't live up to expectations.

I've fitted it to a wooden frame backed with 6mm ply and heavy duty polythene just in case it leaks. If you're fitting to a wall battens will be needed for the edge trims. I don't believe that it will leak because it's more less the same stuff that's used for exterior cladding. Fitting is easy if you use edge trims fastened (small screws or nails) to a framework or battens. You need to seal at the edges of the trims (with silicone) and the instructions also state that you should seal between the panels themselves although this shouldn't be necessary especially if they're fitted horizontally.

Fitting is quick and easy once you've fixed the edge trims. Cut strips to length using a light touch with a tenon saw - cut 1/4" short to allow for expansion.

It looks very good but I doubt if it would stand up to heavy wear which is why I'm prepared to replace it if it goes wrong.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero