Garage door - lubrication dilema

Looking at my Henderson door today and found that in spite of regular lubrication the rollers have started to get flats worn on them. I suppose that maybe lubrication can cause the rollers to slide rather than roll in the track. However, lubrication of the spindle is important to help it to rotate. Oil on the track attracts grit which can make an abrasive paste.

So - I have tried to just oil the spindles and have wiped the track and rollers clean. I'll see how it goes.

I do find that oil on the spring is very beneficial as it rubs against its turns as it unwinds and winds up.

Can't complain - after 22 years it opens with one finger. Many neighbours have had theirs replaced or overhauled.

Reply to
John

I would only oil the spring and use Molypaul for the roller 'spindle'. Just a trace and it should last for quite some time. The problem with oils and greases is that they pick up an awful amount of dirt and grit, then stop rotating. Molypaul is not as prone to that and retains lubrication with only a tiny amount used.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I use a small squirt of spray grease on the roller mechanism occasionally when the door starts to get stiff. No flats worn on it yet ...

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Ahh, I wonder if that is wrong with my door? Thinking it because the door was 'sticky' from halfway upwards, I oiled everything and greased the vertical tracks. Probably best to clean the tracks and guides down again. Can you safely take one track off at a time to clean it without loosing spring tension?? Brad

Reply to
BRAD

I guess that if the door is fully open then taking the track off should be possible. Seems a bit OTT just to clean it though.

Loosing tension is a dangerous event! There is a lot of stored energy in the spring.

Reply to
John

Not just to clean the inside of the tracks but to clean the guides too.

That's why I don't treat this lightly and why I'n asking advise on here first. Brad

Reply to
BRAD